Main differences in AT&T + Verizon iphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TJC747, Feb 3, 2011.

1. TJC747 macrumors member

So I take it Verizon won't drop any calls, but also has slower data speeds? Are these two the only differences in phones? Bottom line is I'm torn between AT&T and Verizon. I can handle the dropped calls. Are they frequent, though? The large difference in data speeds is making me lean towards AT&T. Looking for some advice. Thanks.

2. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

And that AT&T allows simultaneous voice and data while Verizon does not.

3. mpossoff macrumors 68020

For me and the other phones on our family plan as well as friends and family, superb reliability and coverage in the Philly area. I can't remember when I dropped a call and we've been with AT&T for years.

I also enjoy significant faster data than Verizon counterparts in the Philly area.

Do your homework.

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

AT&T is good in Philly?? Not in my experience. I'm just outside Philly and I drop calls constantly. I have two phones and Verizon has been far more reliable and much better inside buildings and such.

5. edk99 macrumors 6502a

It just depends on where you live.

In Florida I have had no problems with ATT and dropped calls.

Verizon has better voice coverage but don't think that Verizon does *NOT* drop any calls. They do but just not as many as ATT in certain areas. Like I said I have no problems with ATT in Florida with dropped calls.

6. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

These are not differences between the phones. These are differences due to the different carriers.

The difference between the phones is that they work on different mobile communication technologies. The AT&T phone will have a slot for a SIM card since is it s GSM phone and the Verizon version is a CDMA phone without the SIM card slot. I also read that the Verizon phone can be used as a mobile hotspot but currently the AT&T phone does not have this feature.

7. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

It really all depends on the area you live. I live outside of Philly, and I haven't had any major problems in my 2+ years of being with AT&T. That said, I have experienced dropped calls in the past. But nothing sigificant that I would consider leaving AT&T for Verizon.

In terms of Philadelphia, whenever I am in the city, I have little or no data coverage. So if I try to access Facebook, Twitter, or look up a restaurant on Yelp it's almost impossible to do.

8. huskerchad macrumors regular

The other difference is the ability to use the AT&T version on GSM networks outside the country. For some people that is a non-issue, but if you need it, it's a big deal.

9. TJC747 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies. I just don't know if I want AT&T or Verizon. I've had a Verizon Voyager for 2 years and it's worked great - I'm ready to make the switch, I don't know what I should do. How much worse is it having the slower data. Do you guys think there is a recognizable difference?

10. mltaylor macrumors regular

I think ATT is just a bit faster but not that big of a deal. I have a Droid X on Verizon and its slower but I always just thought it was the phone and not the network. ATT has always been pretty good to me, that is with a case on my iPhone 4.

11. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Just outside of Philly meaning where?

12. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Hmmm I don't have this data issue in Philly.

13. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Bingo. Folks keep failing to mention this, but for some of us, this is a deal breaker.

14. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I've used both an iPhone 4 on AT&T and a Droid X on Verizon. The difference in speed will primarily come into play for video streaming and downloading larger files. If you do a lot of Youtube watching, Netflix streaming, and the like, then AT&T will definitely be better. For web browsing, audio streaming, and apps that only tap the network for updates and notifications, there will be virtually no difference (if both phones are getting good signal). Verizon has less latency, so sometimes there is actually an advantage for smaller network probes.

But as the others pointed out, it really all depends on the area you are in. In areas with poor AT&T signal, speeds could actually be slower than Verizon. If you aren't under contract anymore and both carriers are good in your area, then I would probably get the AT&T version simply because it has simultaneous voice/data and relatively faster speeds.

However, if you are happy on Verizon, you'd probably be very happy with the Verizon version and you'll have unlimited data.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

The only way to answer this question is to answer it yourself by testing both in your area or speaking with friends, family, etc.. that have used both in your area.

The carriers offer 30 day return periods for a reason. Take advantage of it and stop asking a bunch of people in a forum that can't really answer the question for you anyway.

16. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

you could always ask your friends who have each carrier. that be the best for your area.

there is ways around using voice and data at the same time with verizion. its wifi. when your connected to wifi you can surf and talk simultanously.

17. ryno2292 macrumors member

Like most people here have said go with whichever carrier is better in your area. For me, Ive been on both Verizon and AT&T and both have been good here. But I wanted the iPhone starting with the 3GS so I went to AT&T, and have no interest in leaving them at the time.

18. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

I believe it is 14 days return for the iPhone on both carriers. I know that AT&T iPhones also have a 10 - 15% restocking fee if returned after the packaging is opened even if within the 14 day return period. not sure about Verizon's iPhones.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's a pretty ridiculous statement.

20. zenio macrumors 6502

I'm looking forward to discovering the differences in performance first hand.

I've had my AT&T iPhone 4 since they were released. Since I live in a very strong 3G area, I've enjoyed great call quality and fast data.

The reason I ordered a Verizon iPhone last night is because I'm already using them for my Droid X (another great phone) and I'm really curious about the iPhone that Apple is giving them.

I've been an Apple customer for years and know their method of operating quite well. They're very secretive and often make improvements we never hear about. I think after the antennagate debacle, Apple got really focused, & built their best iPhone of all, for Verizon. So I just had to buy one and see.

It should be fun :)

21. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

For me it is not.. 5 years in NYC area and zero dropped calls with VZW.

22. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

The deal breaker for me is having dropped calls during important conversation. This is the main reason I didn't get the iphone from At&t even though I wanted an iphone really badly...

23. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

24. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Believe it or not, but I was recently a Verizon customer, and am now an AT&T customer. I switched inSept for the iPhone.

I got significantly more dropped calls on VZW than I have on AT&T, and I live in a major metro area that should have excellent VZW coverage. I'm much happier with AT&T than I was with Verizon.

I could sell my iPhone now and get enough extra to pay my AT&T ETF, but I'm not tempted in the least. In my experience, everything is much better with AT&T.