Main HD icon won't change

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DukeofAnkh, Jul 23, 2009.

1. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

I've searched and couldn't find anything relating to my specific problem.

I seem to have a glitch preventing me from changing my internal HD icon. I have no troubles changing icons for folders or external drives, but since recently getting myself a new internal, it just stays on the default. I even tried using CandyBar (was doing the other changing by hand) but that thinks the icon I want is already applied, although it doesn't display in Finder or anything like that. Reapplying or trying to use a different icon doesn't work either. (And the icon works fine when I apply it to other things, just not drive I want it to work on.)

Does any one know how to fix this? The horrible drive icon is bugging me; I'm used to the pretty one that matches my other drives.

(I should probably add, I can change the default internal drive icon using CandyBar, but this isn't what I want since that changes both my HD icon and my Windows partition icon and I want them to be different and since Windows is NTFS, this seems like the easiest way to change it's icon. I'm open to suggestions which involve a different method of changing the windows partition icon.)

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

You have to change you permissions for it first, since it is the drive the computer is operating from.

Go to the get info page for you HD, scrol to the bottom and click the lock, you need to enter your password. Now click the plus symbol and when the box comes up select you user name, then change your permissions to read and write. You should be able to change the icon now, that's how I got it to work.

3. DukeofAnkh thread starter macrumors regular

I did that, repeatedly (and CandyBar automatically does that).

If it helps, when I show hidden files and look at .VolumeIcon it shows the correct (ie one I want) icon, but it's not displaying in Finder or anywhere else.

4. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

IDK then. Works fine for me.

Are you using Leopard? because it may be different for different versions of OS X.

5. DukeofAnkh thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, using Leopard. Like I said, this is clearly a glitch since it all worked happy fine before an just randomly stopped when I got a new drive.

6. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

What method are you using to change the icon?

7. DukeofAnkh thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried every method I can find:

- Dragging icon from file onto the top left hand corner of the Get Info box
    - Copy pasting icon into same
    - CandyBar
    - Deleting the .VolumeIcon.icns file and recreating it using the above methods
    - Deleting the .VolumeIcon.icns file and replacing it with a .VolumeIcon.icns file from another drive
    - Various combinations of reboot/log off and killall Finder after each of the above.

Incidentally, the correct icon DOES show up on the boot screen for choosing which partition to boot from. This must be some sort of Finder error.

I think I'm just going to do a fresh install of Leopard and see where that gets me. Not just because of the icons, mind. I'm also having an issue where it won't remember my keyboard settings on reboot and selecting two languages and deselecting one every time I reboot will get old.

ETA: In case someone finds this thread trying to solve a similar problem, an archive and install fixed everything up nicely. My icons are back the way I like them, although I did cheat a bit and use CandyBar to set the default internal drive icon to what I want my NTFS win7 partition's icon to be. Seems that it just didn't quite restore cleanly from Time Machine the first time.