Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
OK, so I think I've had enough of the Macbook Pro and it's various foibles to use it even as a 'daily' home machine. It's also been the case that I don't actually use it + ACD as a dual-monitor system very often because the MBP screen looks significantly worse than the ACD I've ended up never moving any windows onto the second monitor. And also there's the matter of desk real estate... the 17" MBP actually takes up a fair bit of space on the desk, relatively speaking (in terms of usable 2-D area) more than a 23" ACD.

So I'm getting ready to replace it. But with what?

I want a machine I can use without fear. By that I mean for example that if I run Half-life 2 on a Macbook Pro, I can't touch the thing after 15 minutes of gaming, and doing similar things on the 20" Intel iMac also resulted in a worryingly 'blowy' machine.

A 24" iMac + existing ACD might seem like a slam dunk answer for me. But what about graphics + heat issues in Windows, etc? That's what I'm worried about. If I play a game then leave it running all day forgetting to take it out of the game and it startes burning up, then that's 'use with fear'.

The Mac Pro has better airflow for this sort of use but I really don't want a hulking 'PC' under my desk if possible.

A fully configured (for what I think I'll need) 2.66 Mac Pro with a 23" monitor and X1900 comes to £3800.
A fully configured 2.33 iMac 24" comes to £2430.
A £1400 difference is a major consideration if all I'd end up doing is paying for the assurance of adequate on-load airflow. For the home-use apps I'll be using I also doubt the usefulness of the extra processor. And as far as games I guess the performance of either Xeon or C2D is acceptable.

Could owners of either (hey, both!) say something to help me decide one way or another? It'll definitely be Paralleled / Boot Camped, with potentially poorly multithreading apps... and I like the iMac form factor. But above all I need it to 'just work' without any worries when the CPU/GPU is being worked hard.

topgun072003

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I'd go with the imac. Check the gaming section of this site... there are multiple posts about the fps and other gaming issues of both machines. I've been quite impressed with the imac's performance.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
you already have an ACD, why not go for the Mac Pro? it is a powerful machine and could no doubt handle everything you'll be doing.

that said, the iMac is a nice desktop computer and the 24" would give you tons of screen space as well as the power of a great processor and GPU. the problem is, i don't see why you would want a 24" iMac (or any iMac) plus an external display. if you're going for the all-in-one iMac, i'd suggest selling the display or using it with another machine (if you have one).

i vote for Mac Pro.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I prefer having a dual-monitor set-up, especially when I'm browsing and definitely when in iTunes. I'm a very multitasking sorta guy :D So it will be an iMac + ext disp or another 23" ACD with Mac Pro.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
It does, doesn't it. I'm just more than a little concerned given my past experience with iMacs and also due to the GPU / lack of airflow thing. Still, don't really want to pay £3.8K for a home PC...

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
My God man, buy the Mac Pro. You know you want to. I can tell from here.

:cool: :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.