Main Reason of Force Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lke, Sep 3, 2015.

1. lke, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015

lke macrumors 6502a

The main reason for Apple to use force touch on the iphone 6S is to replace the home button.

The only way to replace the home button is with force touch.

By removing the home button the screen will be bigger.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

negative. TouchID is very much a part of the home button and is not going anywhere. They added it because it's a new innovative feature. Could they add touch ID into the screen?

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Forcetouch will not be replacing the Home Button on the 6S or 6S+

4. sartrekid macrumors 6502

I'm wondering though... Sony has been very innovative with integrating the fingerprint sensor into the power button on the side. I think that's a pretty slick and smart idea and, if the reports are anything to go by, it works flawlessly. Other OEMs have also presented quite a few innovative features, especially the Huawei Mate S. I could imagine that the iPhone 7 will receive a complete design overhaul.

5. iApple_man macrumors regular

iApple_man

To me the home button looked better when the 5s came out. Other than that, just maybe lower the top bezel

6. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

They could probably add Touch ID to the lower bezel if they got rid of the home button; keeping a circle to indicate its placement. Although, they would then have to make sure that area is super scratch resistant... Another issue is people would try and press it and get confused why it isn't working. I just hope they make the home button a bit more shallow, akin to the iPad Air 2. Just feels nicer to me.

7. recoil80 macrumors 68000

The top bezel has the same size as the lower one for symmetry. They'll reduce the top bezel when they'll get rid of the power button.
    Force touch is a step in that direction, but I'm not sure they'll remove the button in 2016

8. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

They easily could reduce the bottom bezel by 1/8-1/4" and still have plenty of room for the home button. Also, if they reduced the side bezels a bit that would help with the overall size.

9. giraffeboy27 macrumors member

Apple have patented an idea to integrate camera and the tech behind the screen. I'll find the link and post it

10. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

TouchID will be replaced by an Iris scanner in the iPhone 8. The new Microsoft 950 Lumia is rumored to have a Iris scanner. Then the OPs dream of no home button can come true.

11. doboy macrumors 68000

I would absolutely love it if force touching on the home screen brings up app switcher instead of double clicking on the home button.

12. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

I agree. There's still plenty of screen real estate that can be utilized.

13. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

The main reason is.....STAR WARS. :p