Maing a MacBook Pro Wireless with draft-N

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raven411, Apr 24, 2007.

1. raven411 macrumors newbie

So, I work at a retail store that sells all sorts of wireless goodies and was wondering the best solution to make a MBP wireless. I'm setting up a network in someone's home and they need a very strong signal so I figured I'd use N. They have a MBP with built-in G which will probably not cut it.

My choices are:

Netgear

Linksys

or

Apple

I can also get Airlink/D-link/Belkin N routers but Linksys/Netgear pay me more. ;)

Now, while I'm fairly knowledgable with networking and computers, I'm also fairly ignorant when it comes to macs.

Basically, will any draft-N router work, and if so, which draft-N Express cards will work? (I'm assuming only the mac one will, but wanted to ask.)

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

For the price of 1 Pre-N router you can almost get 3 DD-WRT compatible G routers and set them up as repeaters and pump the signal over the entire house ;)

3. raven411 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, but I'm being paid a flat rate to set this all up and the customer will buy basically whatever solution I provide. 1 router + 1 card seems the easiest way (plus the router pays me commission, assuming it's not the apple one) and the card I'm guessing I would have to order online anyways.

4. marine610610 macrumors regular

Is it a MBP C2D? If so he does not need a wireless N card, only needs to enable wireless n. If you buy the apple router the enabler comes with it i believe. I have the apple router, works great on wireless N. Im still hesitant to mix and match a lot of brands when it comes to wireless stuff, i know some people have a lot of success with it though.

5. raven411 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will verify tomorrow, the customer is fairly illiterate and I have not seen her setup as of yet. What I'm getting from this is that the MBP C2D's come with N capability but I need some sort of proprietary Apple "enabler"?

like this?

Sigh...macs...lol

6. mantic macrumors 6502a

I am not impressed with the netgear router i bought. My signal is not stable and is dropped alot. Very Very Very annoying!! sometimes i have to reconect every 20-30 seconds. It's going back!

7. marine610610 macrumors regular

That is the enabler...

Hey the Apple N router has a USB port on the back. Maybe she would be interested in an external hard drive or networked printer? Maybe both...

8. raven411 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, if she has a C2D MBP I just need the enabler, but if she doesn't have it...does apple or someone else make a laptop express sized card that will work?