Maing a MacBook Pro Wireless with draft-N

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raven411, Apr 24, 2007.

1. raven411 macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2007
    So, I work at a retail store that sells all sorts of wireless goodies and was wondering the best solution to make a MBP wireless. I'm setting up a network in someone's home and they need a very strong signal so I figured I'd use N. They have a MBP with built-in G which will probably not cut it.

My choices are:

I can also get Airlink/D-link/Belkin N routers but Linksys/Netgear pay me more. ;)

Now, while I'm fairly knowledgable with networking and computers, I'm also fairly ignorant when it comes to macs.

Basically, will any draft-N router work, and if so, which draft-N Express cards will work? (I'm assuming only the mac one will, but wanted to ask.)
  2. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    For the price of 1 Pre-N router you can almost get 3 DD-WRT compatible G routers and set them up as repeaters and pump the signal over the entire house ;)
  3. raven411 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2007
    Right, but I'm being paid a flat rate to set this all up and the customer will buy basically whatever solution I provide. 1 router + 1 card seems the easiest way (plus the router pays me commission, assuming it's not the apple one) and the card I'm guessing I would have to order online anyways.
  4. marine610610 macrumors regular

Mar 23, 2007
    Is it a MBP C2D? If so he does not need a wireless N card, only needs to enable wireless n. If you buy the apple router the enabler comes with it i believe. I have the apple router, works great on wireless N. Im still hesitant to mix and match a lot of brands when it comes to wireless stuff, i know some people have a lot of success with it though.
  5. raven411 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2007
    I will verify tomorrow, the customer is fairly illiterate and I have not seen her setup as of yet. What I'm getting from this is that the MBP C2D's come with N capability but I need some sort of proprietary Apple "enabler"?

like this?
  6. mantic macrumors 6502a

Mar 30, 2007
    I am not impressed with the netgear router i bought. My signal is not stable and is dropped alot. Very Very Very annoying!! sometimes i have to reconect every 20-30 seconds. It's going back!
  7. marine610610 macrumors regular

Mar 23, 2007
    That is the enabler...

Hey the Apple N router has a USB port on the back. Maybe she would be interested in an external hard drive or networked printer? Maybe both...
  8. raven411 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2007
    Ok, if she has a C2D MBP I just need the enabler, but if she doesn't have it...does apple or someone else make a laptop express sized card that will work?