Mains iPod Charger - not from Apple

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jggretton, Jan 13, 2008.

1. jggretton macrumors newbie

Hello all, I was looking on Amazon / eBay for iPod chargers to use when I'm not near my computer (I didn't fancy the price tag on Apple's own charger). However I'm concerned about complaints that iPods take far longer to charger off some chargers, and some chargers talk about stopping charging once the battery is full where others don't mention this.

Does anyone know what to look out for when buying a cheap charger? The last thing I want to do is damage my iPod!

I guess this also applies to cheap iPod speaker docks which charger your iPod...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

James

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Question...

If you're really that concerned, it might be a good idea to rethink an Apple charger. Sure they are more expensive, but they are usually smaller and you'd have the peace of mind that it won't mess up your iPod.

3. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

And it looks great aswell. The Apple one is 30 euro here and other ones are 7 , but i would buy the apple one. They even put an Apple logo on that thing.. damn nice! :D

4. Canerican macrumors regular

They all work about the same. I got a cheap one for $5, its ugly as heck, I just don't look at it.

Belkin and Griffin both have some really sharp looking iPod accessories. Check them out, they are almost always cheaper that Apple branded stuff.

5. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

I got my apple charger on ebay for $12, but I have to say it was a great deal. If I had to buy a new one, I would go for that video cable combo from apple for $49. It comes with a charger.

6. jggretton thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your replies, I think I will probably go with the first two recommendations and pay the extra for Apple piece of mind. Sounds like the cheap chargers have worked fine for the other two guys but without knowing why these work where others don't it's probably not worth the risk.

When I get onto the extra cost of speaker docks (which charge too) I might change my mind though - perhaps Belkin may offer the best balance...

Thanks for your help!

James