Maintain File Creation Date in Streamclip

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by zoner2009, May 1, 2010.

1. zoner2009 macrumors newbie

I’m trying to unload about 50 movies from a JVC camcorder to IMovie. The movies were taken over the past 6 months. I downloaded MPEG Streamclip to convert the .mod files that JVC creates to .dv format for importing into IMovie. Upon conversion, the file date indicating when the movie was taken is modified to the date of conversion in Streamclip. Therefore when the converted files are imported into IMovie, the 6 month timeline of the 50 movies is lost and all the movies are within the timeline of when the conversion occurred.

I am using IMovie simply for the way it organizes movies into a timeline and allows easy viewing. Is there any way to preserve the original file creation date when converting files in Streamclip so I can have a timeline in IMovie that actually represents when the movies were taken?

2. Chris at JVC macrumors newbie

Using Everio with iMovie

Hi,

I work for JVC and would like to try and help.

The trick is to use iMovie '08 or iMovie '09. They support JVC very well. You can simply connect the camcorder via USB and import. Streamclip is not needed. When you connect via USB you will get a USB menu. Simply click on Playback on PC and you can capture. For HD video you do need an Intel processor.

I hope this helps.

Chris

3. zoner2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

Using Everio with iMovie

Hello Chris,
    I have IMovie09. I was able to transfer movies from the camera using IMovie, however, there was no sound associated with any of the movies when replaying them. I could watch the movies with sound in QuickTime, but this isn't the desired program for me to watch movies. Using MPEG Streamclip allows me to watch the movies in IMovie with sound. Unfortunately, I lose the original file creation date when using MPEG Streamclip and that is what I'm trying to resolve.

4. Chris at JVC macrumors newbie

Hi,

I wish I could be more help. I am familiar with the basics on iMovie and JVC, but when it comes to troubleshooting, I am not the most knowledgable.

What I can tell you is you should have sound. I get sound when I use iMovie '09 with a JVC Everio. The best advice I can give you is to take your camcorder to a local Mac retailer, and ask to try it out in the store. Most Mac retailers will be happy to let you do this. This will let you confirm that you can get sound with iMovie and your JVC cam. I can pretty much guarantee you will have sound and you will maintain the file creation date that you need. You also know you get sound when watching the video with Quick Time, so we know the sound is there.

Hopefully your next step is something short of a full software refresh, but that could be necessary as well.

Chris