Maintain RAID / don't lose data when upgrading from Yosemite to Sierra?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by Adams Apple, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Adams Apple macrumors newbie

I've searched the web as well as these forums and can't find an instance of my exact scenario. My apologies if somehow this was asked before by someone else.

I am still running Yosemite, but finally have a break between projects where I am able to make the jump to Sierra. I have an external Lacie 5big Thunderbolt (spec 1) 20TB RAID that has a lot of project data on it that I want to leave intact & unchanged. The bulk of this "data" are video source files as well as project files (i.e. Premiere, Avid, DaVinci Resolve project files). I have automated backups of my project files in place, as well as redundant backups of the video source files on bare SATA hard drives. So yes, I do have backups- but were I to have my raid unexpectedly wiped out- it would still be a major pain to rebuild everything.

The Question: Can I upgrade to Sierra from Yosemite without having to reformat my raid drive? I know raid configuration was removed from El Capitan and re-instated in Sierra, but I have no idea of what other ramifications may be, if any.

Thanks in advance.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

RAID wasn't actually removed in El Capitan, it just wasn't in the graphic version of Disk Utility. Upgrading from Yosemite to Sierra should not affect your RAID at all.
    If I am not mistaken, the Lacie RAID unit is a hardware RAID, which has no relationship to the software RAID in OS X/macOS, so should not affect anything on your disk. You should, however, check with Lacie for compatibility and firmware updates that might apply.