Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Is it possible to maintain my 3gs unlock. I currently have a 3gs with 3.1 firmware. Haven't updated since. I don't have the blobs on this phone as well. Is it possible to upgrade this phone to ios5 while maintaining my unlock?

I believe I'll have to do the ipad baseband on it right? Really appreciate your help.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Is it possible to maintain my 3gs unlock. I currently have a 3gs with 3.1 firmware. Haven't updated since. I don't have the blobs on this phone as well. Is it possible to upgrade this phone to ios5 while maintaining my unlock?

I believe I'll have to do the ipad baseband on it right? Really appreciate your help.

Hook up your iPhone to TinyUmbrella and click save SHSH. You have a baseband that can be unlocked and don't need to both with the iPad baseband.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA

If you phone is on 3.1 and has not been upgrading for a while, then you have a older baseband and therefore, you do not need to install an Ipad baseband on it.

You can't go to OS5 since Apple has stopped signing this fw. However, you can go to 5.0.1 while preserving your baseband by using snowbreeze or redsn0w to cook a customs firmware for you.

Please note that there are reporting that ultrasn0w does not work on 5.0.1. So, just beware of this.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
If you phone is on 3.1 and has not been upgrading for a while, then you have a older baseband and therefore, you do not need to install an Ipad baseband on it.

You can't go to OS5 since Apple has stopped signing this fw. However, you can go to 5.0.1 while preserving your baseband by using snowbreeze or redsn0w to cook a customs firmware for you.

Please note that there are reporting that ultrasn0w does not work on 5.0.1. So, just beware of this.

Thanks so much for the info. So if I use 5.0.1 with custom baseband without the baseband update, my unlock will not work?

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Ultrasn0w should be updated any time to work on 5.0.1. Also, there is other package that helps you to fix this as well Ultrasn0w fixer in Cydia.

ultrasn0w fixer. Interesting! Thanks all. Very interesting. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I am similarly confused. I jailbroke and unlocked my 3gs using the iPad firmware. I am still on 4.1. What method can I upgrade and to what iOS can I upgrade to while preserving my unlock?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.