Maintaining my SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bperrella, Jul 23, 2010.

1. bperrella macrumors regular

Hi Everyone-

I just bought an SSDNow V Series 64gb SSD for my 2010 Base MPB 13". I know that OS X does not support TRIM, and I believe that this SSD does not support garbage collection -- so my question is how do I maintain this drive. I bought a drive much larger than what I need to maintain free space (I will only use it for the OS and apps ~25gb.) Is there any software that will easily let me keep the drive running as fast as possible? I am hoping to avoid the methods that require reformatting in NTFS and cleaning the drive from another OS/ utility CD. Any help is really appreciated!! Thanks

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

http://macperformanceguide.com/Software-DiskTester.html

I use this about once a month on my Intel G2 SSD and it lets me avoid OS reinstallations and secure erase ATA commands via Linux LiveCDs. The developer of the suite of tools is very knowledgable and very responsive to emails.

3. bperrella thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks... Looks good, but are there any free alternatives??

4. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Either wait til 10.7 (which will likely allow for TRIM support) or read/write to your HDD. Those are your free alternatives for the moment.

I personally doubt I'll have to worry about anything prior to the 10.7 release. The drives should be fine until then.

5. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

I agree, people shouldn't fret too much over the lack of TRIM to a few months. Regardless of that, a lot of drives have automatic garbage collection that don't need TRIM in order to be functional. All of the SF drives have this enabled.

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Why didn't you get SSDNow V+? That's what I got, in part also due to the Garbage Collection being enabled on these drives.

7. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

I've been looking for the same thing for MONTHS now (free programs) and have found absolutely nothing. There is one page that I found, but not sure if it works. (I posted comment there, although there was little feedback).

http://jasontomczak.com/2010/06/21/reconditioning-an-ssd-on-the-mac-for-free/

8. bperrella thread starter macrumors regular

The V series was cheaper.. I wish I had a better reason but I don't. I got the drive for $98 after the rebate.