Maintaining Network Settings: Buying New MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by paulyonder, Mar 10, 2009.

1. paulyonder macrumors newbie

Hi there all,

Quick question around purchasing a new MacBook Pro. Within the 'Proxies' section within my Network Preferences, I have a proxy set up and populated with username and a password. The password is unfortunately 'asterixed' out, and I cannot for the life of me remember what it is.

I guess I have two questions: 1. Can I retain these and only these settings when moving to a new Mac (I don't want to bring all my data over, I want a nice squeaky clean man) so I don't lose this password.

2. Can I reveal the password in any way?

Many thanks in advance, you guys rock.

paul:D

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

1. With Migration Assistant you can transfer the network settings only. Just follow the instructions and deselect everything else until the final step, where you should be able to select the network settings only.

2. You should be able to find the password in Keychain Access, found in the Utility folder inside you Applications folder (you will need the administrator password for that).

3. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    this is what I thought too but the password doesn't seem to be stored in the Key Chain.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Wifi password is in keychain.

5. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

yes but here we're talking about the proxy password.

6. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Oh sorry, there are in the KeyChain Tool. Once you enter your server address username and password and apply that setting it creates and entry in your keychain under the type 'internet password ;)

Tex

7. paulyonder thread starter macrumors newbie

We are indeed talking about a Proxy password. I'll have a check this evening to see if Keychain can save my bacon.

many thanks for your responses guys, group hug.

cheers