maintaining/upgrading Macbook 6,1 hardware

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DaveTheRave, Mar 31, 2012.

1. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded my late-2009 white Macbook from 2GB RAM to 4GB. I noticed better performance right away. I don't need a new HD yet but the YouTube videos of regular HD vs SSD boot times is really tempting me. Maybe some day after prices come down...

I tend to keep my electronics stuff as long as possible (years...). Assuming I still have this laptop a few years from now what may need to be replaced? HD to SSD? Do Macbook users eventually replace the battery? What else is likely to break/wear down? I'd like to use my Macbook as long as it works fine and the costs/upgrades are reasonable. I'm not one to dump a laptop simply because a better one is released. Thanks.

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Chances are the first thing to go is going to be the Hard-Drive, pretty much always is. Mind you, other things could go wrong but 90% of the time a hard-drive will die before anything else. Batteries as well usually have to be replaced, not that they are overly expensive.

With the RAM upgrade you’ve already done, a new battery (when needed) and an SSD your macbook should last years longer.