Maintanance.app and CleanMyMac f'd up my mac! Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrCheeto, Mar 1, 2010.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Gee, after telling myself for so long NOT to trust software that digs into your machine, I thought that after enough raving reviews, I'd try these two.

And wouldn't you know it, my Mac is f'd to a T!

I used CleanMyMac to get rid of the universal binary for GarageBand and now GarageBand is broken!

Then, Maintenance destroyed my Trash! Now I can't drag anything to the Trash icon and if I delete anything it says "the item will be deleted immediately". WHAT T3H EFF? This is why there should be a Mac app store, so that stuff HAS to be tested and proven non-idiotic.

What could have happened to GarageBand and my Trash?

Also, steer clear from these crud heaps.

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Hmm

I use CleanMyMac with no trouble, although I am aware that some day it may ruin a program by removing the wrong bits. However, all I do is re-install the app and tell CleanMyMac to ignore it.

In your case, it sounds like a fresh re-install is needed.

3. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

I was not aware that Clean my mac has a black list like Xslimmer. Mainmenu cannot be slimmed. Reinstall.

4. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

OK, I deleted my .Trash file and it's working FINE now!! I would be excited, but the thing is, that shouldn't have happened in the first place >8

Nothing pieces me off more than unchained software. Yes, go ahead, rip my permissions to shreds!

Now then, is there some way to restore all of the files associated with GarageBand using Time Machine? As far as I can tell, I can only restore what's in the Applications folder, unless I knew where the binary was.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You do have to reinstall. Before that change your title to "I f'd my Mac using Clean my Mac". You did this as most people use that app with great success.

6. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

The same way many people use potato guns with great success...until the chamber pressure exceeds critical limits to no fault of the user -.-'

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

8. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Same concept. Was it the user's fault?

Think of all the people that have used Toyotas with "great success" before the accelerator went nuts and vaulted them off an overpass -.-'

[​IMG]

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Cute. :cool:
    Maybe it was the ghosts in your house that did it.

Oh and reinstall iLife to fix GarageBand.

10. Anthropogenesis macrumors member

I use CleanMyMac and never had any problems. Regarding this black list that some of you speak of, is this referring to the "Shared Ignore List" which it supposedly downloads from other users?

11. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I don't know why anyone needs an app like these. I find my software stays pretty clean as it is. Once in a while I go into my library folder and delete any folders from apps I no long have. Other than that, I use a damp microfiber cloth to clean my Mac.

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604