Maintaning/Extending my mac LIFE

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by super tomtendo, Oct 11, 2009.

1. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

As you can see down below [in my signature] I have my current mac specifications.

I've had the computer since summer '07 and I'm wondering if there is any tips and ideas that I can do for my mac to help extend the life, make it faster, or whatever it may be.

Also, my battery health isn't the great right now, which I'm not sure why, cause I always trained it properly. Is there any (cheap) places that sell my computer battery?

I'm not willing yet to dish out $2,000 on a new mbp.

Thanks! :apple:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If you've been using your computer for over 2 years, your battery is probably just reaching the end of its life. Since you talk about "training" it, I assume you're familiar with the principles of proper battery use, but if not, Apple has a nice page on the subject.

As for cleaning things up, you can check the usual suspects: remove any unnecessary junk from  -> System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items, and take a look through Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app) for any particularly heavy processes you can scrap.

3. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Yeah, I failed to mention it's my second battery. The last one was covered by warranty.

4. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Reinstall.

Get a new hard drive if your near full. A nice 250 wouldn't cost you too much.