maintenance for mac os x?

i-unit123

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2006
hello,

recently my macbook pro 17" (Core Duo), decided that neither my airport card or my firewire ports existed. Eventually, after restarting around 5 times, this fixed it. However, during this time even in "about this mac" it said there was no airport card. anyways, that problem is fine now, but my question is this:

What can i regularily do to maintain the stability of mac os x? its generally pretty good, but im sure there is something i can do. other then restarting, and repairing permissions, what is there?

thanks alot

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't know of any maintenance routines you could take up to prevent a problem like that. It sounds more like a hardware issue, but hopefully it's all resolved now. Aside from calibrating your battery monthly, I find OSX doesn't really need any maintenance. Since 10.4.2, all the daily, weekly and monthly periodicals are run regularly and automatically if you sleep your machine at night. :)

i-unit123

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2006
OK, i'll try that.

thanks

btw, the problem i was having has resolved itself, so yea

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'm always suspicious when problems fix themselves. If this happens again, I'd recommend talking to Apple about it, while you're still under warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.