Maintenance on Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tomegun, Dec 23, 2007.

1. tomegun macrumors 6502

tomegun

Is it necessary to routinely perform daily, weekly and monthly scripts as well as repairing disk permissions on Leopard? If so, should it be done manually or is there software that works? I used to have Onyx, but the version I can find doesn't work on Leopard. I looked at Cocktail, but I wanted to ask around before buying it. Also, does SuperDuper work on Leopard? I have Time Machine running on my iMac, but I don't have a drive connected to my MBP while using it. I think there was some discussion on whether Time Machine and Superduper actually achieve the same thing anyway.

2. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Greetings! The first question is to ask yourself, what are you trying to fix? Are you having problems? Many of the routines that Onyx went through were harmless, but your Mac builds cache files for a reason. They make your Mac run better and faster. Deleting them is not necessarily a good thing.
    As far as Time Machine, without a backup drive, there is no point. You are living on the edge, though. Hard drives are neither Mac nor PC, they will either fail tomorrow or they will last for 27 years. You need a backup plan!

3. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

I'm very aware of the fact that I need a backup plan. I was asking if SuperDuper works with Leopard. Quite frankly, I think the idea of Time Machine and a MBP is dumb. I really like it and use it for my iMac, but I'm not going to go around with a drive aways connected to my MBP because I'm someone who actually uses a laptop on my (gasp) lap! I have another drive (they seem to be stacking up) I can use to backup my MBP, but I'm not going to have one connected all the time.

What do you suggest?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have my laptop out and about all the time. I still find Time Machine useful. :confused:

Maybe you should look at Maintenance. I had a bad run in with OnyX.

5. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

OK, I have a question for you. I can understand connecting your laptop to a drive and running Time Machine sometimes. But do you keep a drive connected to your laptop every time you use it? If not, does Time Machine just run when connected and instead of having a constant history to go back (in time) to it will just have the times you had it connected? If this is the case, I have no problem buying another drive (usb powered because the only one I have sitting around unused has a power supply) for the laptop.

I will try Maintenance out. Thanks.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It'll run whenever you mount it after missing a scheduled update.

Not that hitting Back Up Now doesn't hurt either... :rolleyes:

7. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

Now I feel sort of dumb. I had to go and look on my iMac to see the option to Back Up Now. I attached the drive, set up Time Machine and have left it alone ever since. I guess I should have figured this whole thing would be easy and common sense. It is an Apple afterall.

8. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I thought the Back Up Now should have been more "publicized" by Apple anyway, seems like something most people would really want to know about. :)

I do like how it'll automatically backup when mounted if you've missed a backup, makes it very nice for my Macbook.

9. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

Yeah, if I would have known about it I wouldn't have had a reason to make the post about not using Time Machine on my MBP.