maintenance to keep mb at peek performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maudioguitarris, Jun 11, 2009.

1. maudioguitarris macrumors newbie

i have a 2.16/black intel core duo 2 macbook/4gb ram (3.3)... i've had the mb for about two years now and i've never really looked into ways of keeping it at peek performance (like i used to do with windows.. defragmenter etc etc). this is due to the fact that the macbook is still as responsive as it was the first day i got it, and it has every program you can think of (final cut, logic studio, imovie, photoshop, live, etc etc). i've spent a pretty high amount on software and i'm not complaining... HOWEVER...

i wanted to know if i should do a yearly or monthly checkup, and run a certain utility to keep the macbook at peek performance and speed? any software out there that's worth buying that cleans unused files and clears up hd space or perhaps a disk defragmenter type utility? or any other ways of keeping it at its peek?

i would truly appreciate the suggestions.

2. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

I use Onyx every month or so. It lets you clear various cashes, repair disk permissions and run maintenance scripts.
    http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

There are other similar apps (Cocktail, MacJanitor?), but I haven't tried those.

Edit:
    It's free by the way

3. maudioguitarris thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your quick, and helpful response, dale.

will look into it! appreciate it.