Maintenance tools/Imac Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by danfred, Feb 13, 2009.

1. danfred macrumors newbie

danfred

I am relatively new to Mac having switched from PC 1 year ago.I have a 20"IMac with Leopard. Are there any regularly scheduled maintenance jobs which I should be carrying out? If so what programs/tools do you recommend to keep my system in good running condition? I get a fair amount of email which I delete regularly. I know with PC there are all kinds of diagnostics which you can run.
    If anyone out there can guide me I would welcome your thoughts

2. whizzleplizzle macrumors newbie

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You can download Tech Tools Deluxe if you already have AppleCare on the system: https://support.apple.com/techtooldeluxe/main?id=dl. You don't need to worry about defragmenting the hard drive, and you rarely need to run Disk Utility unless you are certain there may be an issue with the file structure or certain applications. I would also recommend shutting off the computer at least once or twice a month if not more frequently, just to reduce the wear on the fans and the power supply.

4. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I was told that OSX usually does a good job at maintaing itself. If I was I wouldn't download any maintenance app.