Maintenance

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dragoro, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

I'm not familiar with apple computers, but with PCs we run defragment programs and such. Stuff isn't needed with iPads? Even for those of us with 64 gig iPads?

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Make sure you sync to your computer after every app purchase, just in case anything hAppens to your pad. As for defragmentation, I don't think it's even possible on iPads.

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

No you don't need to defrag the iPad. There isn't a way to do so, at least officially. On a PC you would run it when you notice lag or slower performance. Nevertheless, PC uses a hard drive. iPad's use flash not hard drives.

4. Dragoro thread starter macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Alright thanks. That's going to take some getting used to, but is nice.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

There is no maintanence needed. iOS is heavily optimized. It's, indeed, very nice.

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I doubt it would be required.

They do not even recommend defragging the SSD drives on my laptop. In fact some say it could even shorten the life of the SSD.

Even if you could, it would gain so Little speed with a SSD as there is not a read/write head or moving platter.

I love my SSD drives on Thinkpad.:eek: Boots up windows 7 in only seconds and ready to go. Even my 27" iMac on boot camp/Win7 Ultimate boots up in about 30 seconds, ready to go!

It will ALL be SSD one day!

7. jazziethomas macrumors member

De-fragmentation is not possible with iPad , as for the maintenance you don't need to do it for the device

8. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

You have to wipe down the screen... especially after eating Cheetos and surfing the web. :D

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I may be wrong here :)

But I'm guessing, if you added and deleted 100's or 1000's of apps and data files onto the iPad over many months, whilst we can't see it, the files must be getting fragmented.

I'd guess, by just deleting everything on your iPad totally, as if you were going to sell it, then resyncing it to your computer, to copy everything back on, a-fresh, it would all be put back on in a continuous non fragmented manner.

I'm only guessing though, and I doubt there is much noticeable difference anyway.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

11. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

memory seek times are effectively zero on solid state memory (like used in SSDs and iPad storage) so fragmentation of files should never be an issue

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A restart once in a while is pretty much all you'll need to do.

13. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

Capacity would make no difference.

14. mikeytrend macrumors member

Apple has been quoted by saying that a user should never have to worry about defragmenting a computer, so Mac OS and iOS have both been designed with this in mind. Many of the optimization stuff is taken care of during the installation of an app.

If things do get unbearably slow I would recommend restarting the device and if they still persist, restore the device. After all, it's backed up anyways.

15. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Fragmentation does happen but it is simply irrelevant on devices that have a solid state disk where they have effectively zero seek time. Defragmenting a SSD shortens its life and does nothing for you so not necessary.

16. jdcell100 macrumors regular

I always had a pc. My iPad was my first apple product all I can say is I will never ever buy a pc again. I have a8 month old windows laptop with 4 gig of ram all the bells and whistles and it can't hold a candle to my iPad. Compared to iPad it's so slow it's seems like 1 big energy hog only time I ever use it is to sync my iPad .