maintenence

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I know OSX dosnt need to defrag often and theres the whole automatic 3am disk cleanup but are there any apps to optimize system performance on a mac?

just that im running an app on 2 of my PC's right now to clean, sort, scan the machines to boost performance and I cant help but feel my PowerBook is getting left out.

but not cocktail. im sure ive heard one with an X in the title mentioned around here before but as you can probably tell searching for an app with X in the title is a bit hideous.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
raggedjimmi said:
I know OSX dosnt need to defrag often and theres the whole automatic 3am disk cleanup but are there any apps to optimize system performance on a mac?

just that im running an app on 2 of my PC's right now to clean, sort, scan the machines to boost performance and I cant help but feel my PowerBook is getting left out.

but not cocktail. im sure ive heard one with an X in the title mentioned around here before but as you can probably tell searching for an app with X in the title is a bit hideous.
Just because your PCs require a lot of busy work of you, you want to do the same thing on your Mac? Instead of defragging your Mac, your time would be much better spent mentoring inner city youth or feeding the homeless.

friarbayliff

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
MN / IN
The one problem with the 3am disk cleanup and a powerbook is that most people have their pb off or asleep at these times.

Just run anacron for OS X

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Another day, another recommendation of AppleJack.

Note that some people are reporting problems with AppleJack repairing permissions in 10.4.x, but it's not clear that this is a universal issue.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
I like to run them manually
open terminal and type:
Code:
sudo periodic daily
press enter - it will ask you your password.
then put 'weekly' and 'monthly' as well.
That and disk utility to repair permissions keep my mini in mint condition without having it to be up at 3am.

Cheers

solaris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I have a shellscript that I run once in a while. :)
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "Periodic Maintenance..."
sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic weekly
sudo periodic monthly

echo "Updating locate database..."
sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I use MacJanitor. Seems to work for me. Dunno what it does mind you but i'm told it works :)