MAJOR 2 factor bug in 8.1 (read before upgrading)

syndalis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
If you own an iPhone, but not an iPad or iPod Touch, and the iPhone is your primary and only device to receive two factor authentication codes, you will be locked out of your device after updating to 8.1 unless you have your recovery key handy.

This is a pretty big deal, especially since Apple is asking everyone to go to 2 factor for better security.

I feel like this should be front page news.

dilutedq

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
If you own an iPhone, but not an iPad or iPod Touch, and the iPhone is your primary and only device to receive two factor authentication codes, you will be locked out of your device after updating to 8.1 unless you have your recovery key handy.

This is a pretty big deal, especially since Apple is asking everyone to go to 2 factor for better security.

I was not locked out at all.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009

I wasn't locked out.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I had to send my code to my iPad to continue the setup. No biggie here but you're right. The funny part is, after you enter the code from the iPad you get the code that was going to the phone. Seems logical though....if you're verifying the phone it would not send to the phone. A second option would be the proper option.

Noted though.

randj89

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2013
Rhode Island, USA
Maybe or maybe not!

People can still log in www.cloud.com and get their code. Plus not every user has the 2 factor-ID feature activated. That's an optional security measurement. I just update my pal iPad and it didn't ask for anything. I have a mac, an iPad mini and an iPhone 6 and none asked me for verification steps.... It just asked for my iCloud password and I do have the 2 verification au.... feature on!

syndalis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
It needed to send me a two factor code. The "welcome" setup screens for iOS 8.1 block any incoming text messages or Push Notifications.

So I had to use my recovery key to bypass this step. After doing so, I got the notifications for my two factor codes on the other side.

Mr Hands

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2014
I was also not locked out. (I do have an iPad) I was not asked to verify on my other device or anything. Updated, booted up and asked me to enter my iCloud password. No problems here.

iPad just now booted up as well, but went straight to home screen and didn't ask me anything about iCloud.

syndalis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
I wonder if this is a 6/6 plus issue, and something to do with ApplePay that it is asking me to reauthenticate my device.

Like I said, I wasn't bricked because I kept my recovery key handy in 1password on my Mac, but if I didn't have access to it (or I had it saved on my phone somewhere like a fool) I would be in a bit of a bind.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I wonder if this is a 6/6 plus issue, and something to do with ApplePay that it is asking me to reauthenticate my device.

Like I said, I wasn't bricked because I kept my recovery key handy in 1password on my Mac, but if I didn't have access to it (or I had it saved on my phone somewhere like a fool) I would be in a bit of a bind.
No problems here. I have a 6 and no associated other devices running iOS8.

syndalis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
It's so strange that it happened to me then.

I really have a hard time imagining I am the only one. Whatever caused iOS to decide I needed to reauthenticate my device mid-setup needs to be addressed.

Really glad to hear its not super widespread and guaranteed to happen though.

Killchain

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2013
Albuquerque,NM

Thank you for the heads up prior to my upgrade, got my recovery key handy.
thanks again.

Solver

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
USA
If I ever need to change information about my Apple ID I have at LEAST two ways a verification number can be sent.
I could see some update going horribly wrong on your one and only device and your recover key being the ONLY option to keep that Apple ID.
THOSE WANTING THAT EXTRA SECURITY, ALWAYS HAVE SAFE COPIES YOUR RECOVERY KEY.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
I restore my phone a lot.

This has been around since 7.0.2, at least for me.

When i set up the phone, it asks to verify so it sends a text to the phone, and the spinning wheel spins and then it verifies.

When i hit the home screen, the text comes thru normally with the code.

not a big deal.

Krevnik

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2003
Yeah, 6 here as well, coming from 8.1b2. Asked for my Apple ID password, but didn't ask for a code. It is my primary device.

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
It needed to send me a two factor code. The "welcome" setup screens for iOS 8.1 block any incoming text messages or Push Notifications.

So I had to use my recovery key to bypass this step. After doing so, I got the notifications for my two factor codes on the other side.
It automatically reads the code from the SMS, at least it did on 8.0.

Update: Still works, it even auto-enters keychain activation code.

Last edited: