Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proathlete03

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Fellow Macheads,
I tried to install the new 4.2 software on my iPhone 3G and iPhone 4, but found myself only getting to about 1/2 to 2/3 on the iPhone's progress bar while on the Mac the progress bar was virtually at the end. I waited for hours, but nothing past this point.... Also, I had a heck of a time getting the iPhone to show that 4.2 was even available - it kept saying 4.1 is the latest software. I unplugged and plugged back in - spent virtually hours and hours on this project.

Then I put both iPhones in DFU mode - no luck. I had exhausted every effort including checking to make sure I was on iTunes 10.1....

At the end of the day, do you know what was wrong??? I finally figured it out - I had WiFi Sync installed and it was somehow interfering with the update.

Here's the uninstall link:
http://getwifisync.com/mac/uninstall.zip

I also had to do a full restart for this to work properly.

Take this post with a warning - if you have WiFi Sync installed you MAY have the same exact problem as I have had... I fixed it by uninstalling Wifi Sync!

Good Luck and Happy Updating!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't know about your issue specifically, but I always put my phone in Airplane mode before updating so a phone call doesn't come in at the exact wrong second.

Just a guess, but would Airplane mode have helped with your problem too? If so it'd probably be the simplest way to deal with it.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
It's the same with Windows, the WiFi Sync server and iTunes 10.1 do not play well together.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
That's been the case for months, there were threads during the summer about this. WiFi Sync, although a great idea, is a bug-ridden piece of crap which the dev should be ashamed of taking good money for and never updating.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I recall having it in airplane mode actually screwed an upgrade before. I don't put it in airplane mode, comms service is shutdown anyway when the process starts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.