Major Airport Express Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mattthemutt, Oct 18, 2007.

1. mattthemutt macrumors regular

mattthemutt

I've had an Airport Express for a few years now. I have several computers that connect to it, specifically an iMac G4, a MacBook C2D, and a Dell Inspiron (C2D) laptop. The airport is connected to a DSL PPPoE service, and the problem is that the service often cuts out; the router disconnects from the PPPoE service, and slows down often. The signal strength doesn't drop, but the internet cuts out.

Apparently there's nothing wrong with the line into the house, and the modem, leaving only the airport to blame. We called the ISP, and they say that there are "known issues" with having Intel Core-based computers on the network with the PPPoE service, because they use different security or something. Personally, I think that's a load of you-know-what, but my father believes otherwise, and he's going on a witch-hunt.

What should I do?

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Do you have a 2.4 Ghz cordless phone? Your internet will definitely cut out if you use it at the same time you're on the internet. I finally got rid of mine and all is well.

If you don't, but your neighbors do, you might still have problems.

3. mattthemutt thread starter macrumors regular

mattthemutt

I disconnected the phones, changed the Airport broadcast channel, and still no dice.

Any suggestions? I'm beginning to suspect that the Airport base station is cooked or something.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You said that you had the AirEx for several years? There was actually an article in MacBidouille just recently claiming that early Airport Expresses (circa 2004) have a very high failure rate. Hmm....

http://www.macbidouille.com/news/2007-10-19/#15163

The core architecture on PPPoE is nonsense when you have a router, as it is the router that navigates PPPoE and not the Mac.

5. mattthemutt thread starter macrumors regular

mattthemutt

Other than looking for a receipt, is there any way I can tell in which week it was produced?

(Thanks for your help by the way, I much appreciate it).

6. Gee macrumors 65816

The high failure problem is with the units suddenly dying completely - not gradually getting probs like you've described.

7. mattthemutt thread starter macrumors regular

mattthemutt

So does that mean that it is unlikely that anything is wrong with the Airport?

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

From what I have seen, routers that are 2-3 years old tend to start dying slowly. This goes for any make or model. Some last longer, some die sooner (and quicker). It could be that your AE is on its way down. It still may be serviceable for a couple years yet, however, at least as a wireless BS to another router.

9. mattthemutt thread starter macrumors regular

mattthemutt

I hate it when the solution is "buy another one". How unfortunate.

If it were functioning as a wireless base station to another router, I assume you mean that the WAN port would be connected to a wired router?