Major annoyance with the 'back' function on Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GreenFrog, Jan 19, 2011.

1. GreenFrog macrumors member

Back in the day when I used Internet Explorer on my desktop PC, the back button worked perfectly.

And what I mean by this is, that when you hit back, IE would immediately take you to the spot you had scrolled down to on the previous page. For example, let's say you are on Page A and scroll down half way to find a link to Page B, and you click it. Once you are at Page B, if you were to hit Back, it would immediately jump back to the halfway position on Page A.

Now, in Safari, it DOES jump back to the spot you were previously scrolled to. But this only happens after a couple of seconds of delay. I can either wait it out and let Safari jump back on it's own, or I can just skip the wait and scroll back down manually.

Is there any way around this such that the back function in Safari mimic's that of IE?

It's especially annoying as ****** when you've scrolled down a reallllllllyyyyyyy long page, go to the next page, hit back, and find yourself at the top of the previous page.

Is this because Safari always re-loads 'previous' pages? I THINK IE would somehow 'save' each page and load instantly whenever you clicked back.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

This doesn't answer your question, but it would solve your problem. Open the link in a new tab, that way, you don't have to continuously hit the back button to get back to link/search page.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I think the delay is due to safari actually redownloading the page rather than ie which just simply takes you "back".