Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canaan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
So I got an email from Apple inviting me to one of their infamous hiring seminars, and will be attending it next week. However, I get super anxious about this kind of stuff especially with it being my first choice in a job at this point in my life.

Is there anything I can do to prepare? I plan on wearing a nice striped polo and some skinny jeans. (the email said business casual and this should fit the bill) Honestly my primary concern is whether I "have the look" as I sadly know more than most of the employees I've spoken with there. Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks! :D

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Good luck, but do skinny jeans really count as business casual?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Agreed, this was my question also, and how likewise does a "nice striped polo" count as business casual?

If you insist on wearing jeans (though I'd suggest khakis, unless the jeans look both new and stylish in a very understated manner), I'd strongly recommend a shirt, that is, a proper shirt, what people in the US term a "dress shirt", with buttons and a collar. A button down Oxford shirt is both smart and casual. "Business casual" covers a wide spectrum. It can be everything from wearing a suit with no tie, to jeans and polos. Find out in advance which end of that spectrum the people hiring you are likely to fall into.

The thing about clothes at a hiring seminar or interview is that they should be smart enough yet appropriate enough not to be noticed. You should come across as competent, clued in and appropriately turned out for the job in question. If the interviewer - irrespective of what they are wearing themselves - are paying attention to what you are wearing, then it's off-key. At the end of the day, irrespective of the corporate or clothing culture of the place doing the hiring, you are looking for a job from them, not about to attend a party.

Cheers and good luck

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
It's less about "the look" than it is about the personality. They are looking for a certain type of person, clothing and product knowledge aren't important at all at this point. Be yourself and try and be relaxed, open, and engaging. The only other advice is make sure not to be an Apple brown noser. None of the people that did that at my event got hired.

Lastly, if you don't get hired, it's not the end of the world. As miles said, it's retail, the pay sucks, and customers will drive you to drink. If it's a short term thing to do while you're in school, it can be cool, but I couldn't imagine doing it for any length of time.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
Like Scepticalscribe said, try to wear khakis, but if jeans are all you have, then don't feel entitled to go out and buy some khakis. And as Queen of Spades said, clothing isn't a huge defining factor in whether your hired or not.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Yupp, as everybody else said. It's not about the clothes. I, myself, would consider skinny jeans (Dark colored) and a polo business casual.

But, then again, if it was me, I'd just wear a 'dress shirt' and some slacks.

Here's some advice: When you go into the room, be sure to greet some people. Go around talking. Yes, I know it might be awkward, or you might be nervous, but they're definitely looking for people who aren't afraid of walking up to somebody else.

Heck, if you see a cute girl, go up and ask her for her phone number. You might get points from the interviewers, as well as somebody's number :p

Canaan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
I'm sorry I should have quoted the email on that part. here is what it actually said. "Feel free to dress business casual (jeans and a polo or dress shirt)." So I'm not too worried about that.

It would sound like I should simply just be friendly and knowledgable.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Apple does seem to have a fairly relaxed attitude about how employees dress. I was in an Apple store yesterday and many of the staff looked like they had just gotten out of bed after having slept in their clothes all night.....and maybe the night before that too.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008

Have you seen the type of people working at Apple stores? I don't think they care about what you wear or what color hair you've got.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.