MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A number of the largest healthcare insurance companies in Australia now allow their customers to add their insurance cards to their digital Apple Wallet on their iPhone and Apple Watch, giving healthcare patients ease of access of by using their iPhone and Apple Watch instead of their plastic insurance card.

hicaps-apple-wallet-support.jpg

Bupa, Medibank, nib, and GU Health have announced support through electronic payment and claims system HICAPS, and in a press release, say that thanks to digital cards and Apple Wallets, overall customer experience will now be made easier with shortened wait times and quicker cash processing times. Tania Motto, the National Australian Bank executive for Business Everyday Banking, called the new feature an "exciting enhancement."

The move allows customers to make a health insurance claim by simply holding their iPhone or Apple Watch near any HICAPS terminal in Australia – creating a true digital wallet experience. Customers can also pay for gap payments simply and securely using Apple Pay.

NAB Executive for Business Everyday Banking, Tania Motton said: "We're excited to offer health practitioners the ability to accept digital health insurance membership cards through iPhone and Apple Watch at all HICAPS terminals across Australia.

"Digital technology is rapidly changing the way merchants receive payments – with more customers choosing contactless over cash. This is an exciting enhancement that will further support those who prefer a more digital experience.

"Claims made using this method help reduce the time spent on manual processing for practitioners due to forgotten plastic cards, while putting money back in customers' bank accounts quicker," said Ms Motton.
Apple Wallet integration will work across Australia at HICAPS terminals, and specific instructions can be found on the HICAPS website.

(Thanks, Richard!)

Article Link: Major Australian Healthcare Insurance Companies Now Support Apple Wallet

Last edited:

Wanted797

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Finally.

It is literally the last card I have that cannot be loaded on to my phone.

Bank Cards ✅
License ✅
Medicare ✅
Health Insurance ❌

Reactions: sydneysider88
Comment

x86dude

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2017
Aus
It works. 🙂

But I had to add my card thru the provider’s own app, not thru Apple Wallet.

Comment

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Finally.

Bank Cards ✅
License ✅
Medicare ✅
Health Insurance ❌
How do you load Medicare? I know I can get the card by going to Mygov, but would like if I could add it to wallet.

Comment

blahsua

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2021
which state? NSW?
Pretty sure VIC, where I am, is decades away from getting this....
We've had digital drivers licence for over 2 years now. When I went to Melbourne in 2019 they accepted my digital licence at bars/clubs.

Comment

blahsua

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2021
How do you load Medicare? I know I can get the card by going to Mygov, but would like if I could add it to wallet.
Download the Medicare app. There's a button that brings up the card. It's not in Apple Wallet unfortunately.

Reactions: kerr
Comment

A.wang28

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017
Australia
We've had digital drivers licence for over 2 years now. When I went to Melbourne in 2019 they accepted my digital licence at bars/clubs.
I don’t doubt that. the vic gov has always lagged behind other state in terms of technology.
just compare our Covid check in app with yours!
We can’t check our own check in history, we can’t check out. It’s laughable.

Comment

gussyboy

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Finally.

Bank Cards ✅
License ✅
Medicare ✅
Health Insurance ❌
What about Myki or Opal in NSW?

I wish VIC government would just get everything digital, carrying a wallet to travel either in my car or on public transport is so annoying.

• Haha
Reactions: miq
Comment

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Wish the ACT would hurry up with their rollout. It was on the radar I think for last year, but possibly Covid or something else has detailed that a bit. My license is the last physical card I have to carry, although I tend to keep a single bank card as a backup for the rare times where tap and go don’t work due to some error with the retailers hardware.

Reactions: embot27
Comment

-BigMac-

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I wish VIC government would just get everything digital, carrying a wallet to travel either in my car or on public transport is so annoying.
It sounds like you are being sarcastic.. and completely first world problems.
But just in case you're not.. you no doubt also have digital car and home keys? Both are available - for a price.

Apple will love you btw, because just imagine the pressure of you having their tech on you at all times.
Imagine that one time you lose your phone, or better yet.. the battery simply needs to drain and you can't do anything - at all.

Comment

Wanted797

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
What about Myki or Opal in NSW?

I’m in NSW. Opal is one I don’t have, haven’t had to use it since COVID and work from home.

But they’re trialling it now. Also you can just tap on and off with your bank card so you can already use you phone/watch if you want to.

Comment

A.wang28

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017
Australia
It sounds like you are being sarcastic.. and completely first world problems.
But just in case you're not.. you no doubt also have digital car and home keys? Both are available - for a price.

Apple will love you btw, because just imagine the pressure of you having their tech on you at all times.
Imagine that one time you lose your phone, or better yet.. the battery simply needs to drain and you can't do anything - at all.
the only reason I carry my wallet with me these days is because of the that VIC drivers licence.
Cash - no need
Medicare - Medicare app
Other memberships - all either in the Apple wallet (Woolies, Qantas) or simple barcode scanner (Flybuys)
Myki - I am driving already!

So yea, typical VIC Gov, taking its sweet time.

Reactions: kerr and gussyboy
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.