iPhone Major battery drain and display issue. Please help :(

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Eorlas, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Eorlas, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

Eorlas macrumors 6502

I'll do my best to be as succinct as possible, and explain everything I've done in an attempt to fix the issue. Any suggestions would be very helpful, as I'm trying to avoid losing the jailbreak.

I'm currently running 6.1 jailbroken. My two big issues are as follows:

1) Severe Battery Drain. Within the past month I've been experiencing battery drain that at its worst pretty much equates to 1% lost per minute. In other circumstances I can wake up at 7am with 100% charge, and lose it all by 9.30-10am. A few weeks ago I made a serious mistake, and drove away with my phone on top of the car (I'm an idiot.) I was lucky, and the most damage it had was a mildly cracked screen probably thanks to the case it was in. I just paid to have the screen replaced today thinking there could have been a sensor issue due to the crack causing battery issues. This did not fix the problem.

2) App display issue. This is really weird, and only happens after the phone is powered on after either dying or just being turned off. Any app I start will be displayed in what I can best describe as a "zoomed out" state in the top left corner of the app. It'll take up only about a quarter of the screen. Putting the phone in safe mode and then respringing will rectify the issue until it either is turned off or dies again.

For the battery issue, as aforementioned I tried replacing the screen, but I've also tried to delete numerous JB tweaks, delete numerous app store apps I don't use, turn off location services and notifications I don't use. I do not use Microsoft Exchange as I know that's been linked as a possible issue.

For the display issue, I've tried deleting JB apps/tweaks I think might be responsible.

Again, I'm very desperate to find a resolution to this outside of losing the jailbreak. Any help will be much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Might help to have a list of what's installed.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This is just my opinion, but personally I think you are trying to avoid the realization that your iPhone has been damaged more than you initially thought. Your battery is probably damaged, your screen certatinly was.

If the battery was damaged, no amount of trying to do what you are trying to do is going to rectify that. Only replacement. The problem you have now is that if your iPhone was still under warranty you most certainly voided it if the screen replacement was not done by Apple or an authorized Apple dealer. I suspect it wasn't because testing your iPhone would have beeen something Apple would have done and if your battery was faulty they would have found it.

You may still be eligible for an out of warranty replacement, but considering that your screen may not be a genuine Apple screen (as I also suspect based on your second problem) I'm not sure how far you'll get with Apple on that.

4. BumpyFlatline, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

That quarter screen issue can be several different things. It happens to me and the cause is the Flex Beta but the only apps affected are Twitter and Cydia. Any time my phone is rebooted (or turned off) this happens 100% of the time. For me to fix it, I have to disable the flex Mobile Substrate addon and respring. This issue you're having is without a doubt related to a tweak or a couple tweaks conflicting. If you do some searching you can find other tweaks which cause this. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Regarding your battery, either the battery is bad and needs to be replaced or you have some tweak or combination of tweaks running wild or your iCloud/email accounts are messed up. Have you tried using your phone in safe mode for a day or two to see if it's any better? You should also install battery detective (pro?) and check to see what it's capacity is at. How old is the device?

5. Eorlas thread starter macrumors 6502

Irony aside, but is there an app that will pull the list of installed items and dump it to an email/text file/etc?

I'm trying to rule out all other possibilities before the battery, and then I'll go for replacing the battery. I can confirm that Apple will do on-site same-day screen replacements for $149 as I just tried to today, but unfortunately when I went to clear out all cosmetic changes to iOS so they wouldn't notice a jailbreak, I forgot to remove the tweak that doesn't auto bring up the keyboard in spotlight and the tech notice it. Apparently, despite the fact that the screen replacement is considered an "out-of-warranty" service that also does not require any manipulation of the system software, they still won't touch a jailbroken phone. It's like holding fire in their hands.

I do actually have the Flex beta. I'm waiting for my phone to hit 100% (I made it drain to 0 again today for the sake of a full charge to see if that would help) and then I'll go ahead and see if that will fix it.

This iPhone 5 is from January.

6. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

The 1/4 screen issue can be fixed by going to safe-mode and there after respring or reboot.

Battery issues might be solved by booting into safe-mode with vloume-up and power and seeing if any apps are active. Afterwards reboot.

Also logout off icloud/imessage/facetime as they are also causes of battery-drains.

To complete remove jb non-essential JB apps use ILEX RAT.
    That will only leave the basis.

7. Eorlas thread starter macrumors 6502

I uninstalled this, went back to Flex stable, and the problem is solved. Thank you so much =)

Thanks, but I did discuss in the OP that safe mode was a temporary fix. However, I looked up ILREX RAT and that actually looks like something I might try.

I gave BatteryDoctorPro a try, and I'm reporting back this next morning with some great results. It's estimating that my battery will last ~20hrs, a significant improvement over what I've had recently.

I'll report back a battery percentage in about 2 hours or so (I have 100% now.) If I still have bad results, I'll definitely try ILEX. After that, I'm just going to have to buy a battery replacement if it's still in bad shape.

8. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

You're very welcome. Glad I could help.

Personally, I don't think your battery is bad. I think you have some conflicting tweaks. Can you post a list of your installed tweaks? You can use AppInfo to create the list if you want.

9. Eorlas thread starter macrumors 6502

I've attached the cydia package/source lists as a word doc to this post. I'll edit the OP to include it as well.

Attached Files:

10. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Or jail breaking is the source of the issue. Many folks have mentioned battery killing tweaks so that could be that.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Why are you here if you believe that or if jailbreaking is objectionable to you?

Are you some sort of anti-jailbreak saviour among us here to convince us of the error of our ways?

12. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I don't think he's saying the jailbreak itself is the cause but some tweaks which might be running wild and as a result, killing the battery. I might be wrong though.

OP, have you had a chance to run the "top" command in terminal to see if there are any processes which are using an insane amount of CPU? You might have a runaway process that's constantly sucking up CPU cycles and killing your battery. If you need guidance on how to use this just let me know. I can help.

13. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

I use battery detective to see which tweaks use how much power, better than battery doctor.

Also you might wanna try icleaner pro, it will get rid of all the junk.

14. Eorlas thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried running top in mobile terminal but it said command not found. I think I'm doing it wrong.

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Defensive much aren't you.

I never said that jail breaking is evil etc like you seem to think I did. Read what I wrote and not what you want to think was there. I merely said there are reports of some tweaks draining the battery. So the issue might not be the battery but the jailbreak. It is a valid item to consider.

16. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Battery detective is correct. I always incorrectly say battery doctor lol. Good call.

----------

You need to install it from Cydia first. You might have to change your settings to Developer in order to see it. When you run it in terminal, type in "top -u" without the quotations and it'll sort the processes by CPU usage. Very useful command! It should be a staple for every jailbreaker.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I probably am.

I did Perhaps I am cutting too fine a line on it, but you chose the words you used, not me.

I'm sorry, but what am I not understanding? You said twice that the issue might be caused by the jailbreak itself. That's an entirely DIFFERENT thing than saying the issue might be caused by jailbreak TWEAKS.

I'm not trying to start a fight and if I have, I apologize. But when I hear the word "Jailbreak" I don't automatically associate it to mean "jailbreak tweak."

18. Eorlas thread starter macrumors 6502

Take this out of here and into a private message, please. It serves no benefit to the topic.

19. Eorlas thread starter macrumors 6502

OP here for an evening update:

I came to find that the progress from this morning went away again, and running the top command showed that the "backgroundd" process was using the most CPU at an average of ~10% consistently. I've been running it again in mobile safe mode for about 3 hours now, and I've lost a total of 3% (19 -> 16)

Based on this I'm led to believe that the problem is probably due to conflicting tweaks, so I'll likely run ILEX very soon to start over.

20. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

But the solution is not running ILEX only. You need to clean that up and don't install again all the things you have now. That's the solution. ;)

And not directing this to the OP but...

I keep telling this in every thread exactly like that here. People start installing everything they can find on Cydia and from suspicious sources and come here to ask for help because their devices are not working properly.

Having a jailbreak doesn't mean you can install ALL of the cydia tweaks/apps. One thing is not related to the other.

21. Eorlas thread starter macrumors 6502

No offense taken, I completely understand. I should have learned my lesson a long time ago, especially as someone who has been jailbreaking for years now. I've never had a battery drain issue, but I've definitely had to restore devices before due to installing too much resulting in slow performance.

I'm trying to run iLEX Restore, but I don't get a springboard icon despite already having its dependencies installed. Any ideas what may be wrong?

22. nanolife, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

I'm not sure if I can help you with that since I used it during the earliest versions which didn't have an UI behind, it was accessed only by terminal.
    The best you can do is find the "official" thread about ILEX here, probably on this very first page, and ask there.

The dev is always available. Good luck, mate.

23. hafr macrumors 68030

Don't install numerous tweaks and apps that do the same things, and don't install cracked tweaks and apps.