Major battery drain

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by twopowersix, Jul 9, 2015.

1. twopowersix macrumors newbie

The battery in my Apple Watch drains super quick. My battery drained to 50 percent in 2 1/2 hours. As a test, I removed nearly all notifications except messages, phone, Skype, and the standard calendar, phone and email. I am still losing about 15 percent per hour.

Apple wants to me to "test" it by setting it up new without apps which I did with my first Apple Watch. I'm currently on my third (second had manufacturing blemishes) and since it is behaving like the first, I was thinking its a configuration issue or my iPhone is killing my Apple Watch battery.

I've read many people getting good battery life (15 or more hours with "lots" of notifications, exercise, etc) so I don't know what I need to do.

Any suggestions?

2. maikel7505 macrumors member

My battery also drain very quick, i'm interested in this thread...
    At the moment i have just wear my watch at home because i'm on vacation and i don't want to wear at the beach, so i will not be able to do good testing during the next 3 weeks.
    But i realized that only wearing for few hours the duration goes down like 40% more or less, so very similar to your usage.

3. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

It's obvious that 15%/hr battery drain is not normal. Have you tried setting it up again as a new watch (unpair and pair again)?

Which apps have you been installing so far on your AW?

4. froll macrumors member

In my very unscientific test over about a month period, my watch burns about 3.0 - 3.5% battery lifer per hour. I have moderate - heavy usage with email and texts, and use the heart rate monitoring and step tracking. So, at the end of 15 hours I am usually around 50% remaining which I think is in line with Apple's claims.

5. Roller macrumors 68020

Try removing Skype and see what happens (based on what I've heard).

6. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Yeah I took mine off charge at 8:30 am and at around 1:30 pm it asked me to put the watch in power reserve mode, I was shocked!

7. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Look under the Apple Watch App on the iPhone to check the usage. The usage sometimes is very high even though you haven't done much - in those cases it appears to be a bad app/communication with the iphone.

Whenever I have had faster drain from my normal 3-6% per hour, I do a complete shutoff of the watch and power back on and it seems to fix it unless there is an app that is causing the problem.

I also read somewhere on the net that Skype was causing a major drain. Not sure that is true or not.

8. CellXor10 macrumors regular

I have to think that battery drain that significant has to do with a "bad" app on your Watch/iPhone. Definitely check the usage, though I think I've seen people with battery issues like this that didn't show signs of which app(s) was the problem. If that's the case I would uninstall most all 3rd party apps and see if it helps. My guess is there is something running in the background that is killing your battery you might not know about. Also, in "battery usage" on the Watch app on the iPhone, make sure that usage and stand by are not that same...

9. twopowersix thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I only had these apps installed: Skype, target, Starbucks, Twitter, Instagram and Line.

I played with the phone and watch a bit more and noticed something strange. My 6+ showed as connected to the watch and verified it was by opening the mail app on the watch and it showed recent emails. I then went into the apple watch App to check usage and it never could connect to the watch.

I read on the apple website forums that someone had the same issue until his phone was replaced (due to damage) so I wiped my phone and watch. I set my phone as new and paired to the watch as new.

I didn't install any apps on the watch and I've had the watch off the charger for almost two hours and have sent 4 iMessages from it and only lost 2 percent.

Tomorrow I'm installing the same apps on the watch and will compare similar usage and the battery drain.

The next day I'll repeat the process but add some exercising then compare.

I'll let everyone know what happens.

10. papbot macrumors 6502

You didn't state whether you have a 42 or 38. I have a 42 and my wife has the 38, both SS. My battery life is considerably better than hers. They are basically set up the same and are used quite similarly. There may be other issues affecting different watches but it does seem that the 42s have much better battery life.

11. twopowersix thread starter macrumors newbie