Major battery drainage!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LeighAnna Jones, Jan 10, 2011.

1. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

My iPod Touch 4th Generation 32 GBs has a very short life, then I must raise it from the dead,--every 12 or so hours.

The battery lasts 12 hours.

Then it dies.

Then I re-charge it.

And the cycle goes on.

I do not listen to hardly any music, I mostly use apps.

I like to take photos and edit them, but 12 hours?!

Thanks for any help.

2. pepi macrumors member

I've got into the habit of using the airplane mode and this helps a lot with my battery drainage.

3. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Are you using it constantly for the 12 hrs the battery lasts and if not, for how many of those 12 hrs are you using it? Is it jailbroken? Do you have wifi and bluetooth turned on all the time? Are you playing games on it a lot? The length of time the battery lasts is directly proportionate to how it is used, so if you use it constantly, doing things on it that require a lot of battery use, then you have to expect the battery will run down faster then if you only used it casually. But give us more details as to your usage habits so we can try and help you figure out why its not lasting as long as you think it should.

4. LeighAnna Jones thread starter macrumors 6502

No, it's not jailbroken becasue I am afraid of something happening to it and not being aboule to get it fixed.

I just turned my wifi off and airplane mode on.

And as I mentioned above, I pretty much use the device for games becasue my laptop is not connecting to the internet and I can't log in to iTunes, which all of my songs are already loaded.

IS there anything else I can do?

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you know games use more battery power than songs?

Apple:
    Music playback time: Up to 40 hours when fully charged
    Video playback time: Up to 7 hours when fully charged
    http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

Judging from video playback, 12 hours seem pretty good.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Check your background apps. Skype is a CPU hog

7. LeighAnna Jones thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I did expect a bit more battery life on the iPod but it doesn't hurt me to charge it every night.

I'm gonna get my music on it tomorrow-- hopefully.

8. patp Guest

if you don't use Facetime, turn it off. Your battery life will improve. Dramatically.

9. Drucifer macrumors regular

While I have a 4th Gen iPod Touch and it is set to around 50% brightness. It sounds like you use your device for pretty much the same things I use mine for which is mostly games, pictures, recording videos, and surfing the web or checking my e-mail when I'm in a WiFi spot. If I'm not at home or if I'm not within a WiFi spot trying to access the internet I just always turn WiFi Off. My device will last me for the full day and I generally charge it during the night.

Don't forget a lot of the really graphic intense games eat the battery up fast, for instance playing an hour or so of Aralon: Sword and Shadow you can expect to notice the battery drain. I find other games like Fruit Ninja or 100 Rogues will drain the battery at a slower rate.

Also as someone else mentioned some apps that have true multitasking should be closed when not in use, for example Skype which constantly runs in the background. If you do have it or use it just make sure you completely quit the app once you are done using it.

10. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

Go to Apple support on their site. Follow the instructions for conditioning the battery. That should help.

11. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

In my opinion, 12 hours sound pretty normal regarding using apps and editing photos.

12. Windows macrumors member

Windows

Yep, def.
    Do not expect your iPod to run for more than 10 hours if your running games and editing photos.
    Mine is brand new and just got it's battery checked and it'll last me 5-10 hours of gaming depending on what games I play, sometimes even less...

When not gaming and doing regular web surfing, listening to music, stock checking, light gaming, note taking, etc. I can go up to 2 or 3 days without charging it.

Some tips:
    -Use auto brightness, it automatically adjusts your brightness to the correct amount depending on how dim or light it is. (Turn that on, and the brightness toggle at about 60%) The brightness toggle is the maximum brightness it can achieve.
    -If you don't need them or you don't have wifi 24 hours a day, I see notifications as a waste of battery life, turn them off.
    -Wi-Fi, when not using it turn if off, it only takes seconds and it drains your battery.
    -Bluetooth, with BlueTooth on you won't even get 5 hours of regular use, I consider it the biggest battery hogger out there.
    -When listening to music, try to not fast forward or go back on a song because I heard this drains your battery a bit.
    -Clear your multi-task bar periodically, I usually clear it every time I remember too because I'll usually have 4 or 5 apps on it. This will help save battery as well.

Hope I helped.

13. LeighAnna Jones thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I've gotten alot of help from this thread.