Major Battery Issue with iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DrizzlePistol, Mar 5, 2012.

1. DrizzlePistol macrumors newbie

Apr 20, 2010
    Got my replacement phone from apple last friday due to an issue with data connection (turns out it was a faulty sim card, not the phone itself, but I still got a new phone). Took it home, charged it and set it up like usual (from iCloud backup). After I had set it up, i noticed that the battery was draining REALLY fast, i`m talking about 1 - 2 % every 3 minutes. So I waited until the phone completely shut down because of no battery, and charged it back up to 100% to see if battery calibration would help. At this time, it was already midnight so I unplugged the phone from it charger, and shut down every background app and such, and put it on my nightstand (I did also disabled location services, siri, bluetooth, auto-set time because I saw it could increase battery life on a few websites). Next day, my battery was down to 41%! The first thing I did was to go into settings and look at my battery stats (where you can see how much the phone has been idle and in use). There I saw that the phone have spent 8 hours in idle, and 7 hours in use, just over the night! This is really weird, because I shut down any apps that was running in the background.
    Later that day, I did a full restore from DFU mode, set up as a new phone and re-installed a few apps, but the phone still drains a few % every 5 - 10 min on idle, and it still shows up in the battery usage meter that it`s been in use, even though it was idle all the time!

TL;DR Noticed phone draining battery fast. Calibrated it ( to 0% and back up to 100%) over night, when I woke up, was down to 41%. Took phone in DFU mode and set up as a new device. Battery still drains relatively fast, and still battery usage meter sais it`s been in use even though it`s been in idle.

My question is this: Do I ask for a new phone or do I wait for iOS 5.1 to see if it fixes the battery drain?
  2. doingwork macrumors newbie

Feb 6, 2012
    You can ask for a new phone, doesn't mean they'll do it. But your situation sounds like it is on the extreme side.
  3. DrizzlePistol thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 20, 2010
    Well here in Norway, we have an epic guarantee policy, so getting a new phone won`t be a problem. I was just wondering if iOS 5.1 would fix these issues or is it just my phone.
  4. DrizzlePistol thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 20, 2010
    Something really weird happend just now. I was installing an app from the app store, and my battery percentage jumped from 82 % to 84% and then up to 87%....