Major big with new rMBP: window smearing / trailing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mongoos150, Jun 24, 2012.

1. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

Hey all,
    Just bought a new rMBP this week (base model) and am experiencing a SERIOUS bug! Every once in a while, usually after waking from sleep, my windows start smearing all over the place. Opening a finder window or moving an existing window (regardless of application or finder or whatever), I am left with trails all over the place. The dock, cursor, everything suddenly remains on screen in addition to new images, causing the screen to become instantly useless.

Performing a 3-finger swipe to an adjacent desktop clears the trails, but they persist (even with a text cursor) until I log out and log back into my user account. SEE PHOTO BELOW.

What's the deal? Seems like a software issue, but it effectively renders the computer useless. Should I return it? Really don't feel like making a genius bar appointment - I'm extremely frustrated! This happens sporadically, but typically when Safari is open after waking from sleep. Not consistent.

[​IMG]

2. shareef777 macrumors 68000

shareef777

Is this from a clean install or from a restore/migration?

3. mongoos150 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

Clean install - I purchased this machine on Thursday and have not used any migration, have not altered the OS in any way. Simply moved folders onto the new machine using an external HDD (iTunes and Aperture libraries).

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Seems like a few people are getting graphics issues. Likely is a driver problem and would be addressed in a future update, don't' think it's any hardware failure.

5. eagandale4114, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Can you install gfxCardstatus v2.2 and check if you are using the integrated intel graphics of the nvida graphics.

I have also seen this in store when I went to check out the rMBP. A temporary solution would be to force the computer to use nvida graphics. You can use gfxCardStatus or go to System Preferences>Energy saver and disable automatic graphics switching.

6. mongoos150 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

Great little download - thanks! I'll monitor the problem and report back with which card the problem is occurring with.