Major Boot Camp Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ghall, Mar 14, 2008.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

So, I was partitioning my drive for Windows in Boot Camp, when my computer kernel panicked. I restarted, and my Mac OS X partition has 15GB less disk space (the amount I was partitioning for Windows), and the windows partition is nowhere to be found. I cant find the partition Disk Utility and Boot Camp Assistant won't register that the drive is partitioned. This is a huge problem, as now there is 15GB on my hard drive that I can't access.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. bstreiff macrumors regular

I had something similar happen to me once.

Boot off the install CD (either the Disc 1 that came with your Mac, or the Leopard disc if you upgraded it yourself), open Disk Utility, and use it to Repair Disk on your hard drive-- it'll fix the size of your OS X partition. You can then boot off the hard drive again, and try the Boot Camp Assistant once more.

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Sweet, thanks. I'll give that a whirl. If that doesn't work, will I have to reformat and reinstall?

Edit: Okay, it works right. YAY!!

4. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Okay so I went and tried boot camp again and once again, my computer kernel panicked again.

Any idea as to what is going on?

5. bstreiff macrumors regular

Hm. Run Disk Utility from the install disc and verify/repair the disk to make sure it's all right.

When partitioning with the BCA, make sure nothing else is running.

You might also want to try burning a memtest86+ disc (http://www.memtest.org/) and running that in your machine for an hour or so. The most common source of kernel panics I've seen (on any OS) is bad memory.

6. JEB229 macrumors member

Im getting the same problem and I am wondering how to fix it too.

7. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I'm sure my memory is fine. I just ran the test.

8. lovemac125 macrumors newbie

I would back up and then run boot camp assistant and remove anything related to previous attempts and run t again. If the issues persists then I would wipe the drive and start from scratch.

9. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

This problem happened to me after 10.5.2. Every time I tried to partition the disk, I got a kernel panic. I searched around and tried something which worked for someone else and it worked for me also.

Boot from your Leopard DVD and open disk utility. Partition the drive as you want to (it won't destroy the data already on the disk - check the confirmation box when you start the process to be double sure of this!). Once it's done, delete the partition so it goes back to the way it was.

Now restart and try Boot Camp Assistant once again, it should partition the drive for Windows just fine.

Let me know if this works for you, I'd be interested to know.

10. jimijazz macrumors member

In Disk Utility, should I format the (future) Windows Partition as FAT?

11. BillG07 macrumors member

Same problem, the solution worked

I had the same problem in that Boot Camp couldn't successfully partition the harddrive. I used the same solution that NATO just explained, except I think he misstated a part. After you partition with Disk Utility on your install disk (I would recommend using a FAT32 partition at this point, you can make it NTFS laterwhen you install Windows if desired), the boot camp assistant will skip the question about partitioning and take you right to the Windows installation step, which should avoid the problem you've had.

12. JEB229 macrumors member

I tried NATOs technique and made a partition, then removed it and bootcamp still gives me the kernal panic.

Then I saw what you said BillG and now my disk utility gives me the panic too whenever I try and partition again. Anyone have any ideas?

13. chris315 macrumors newbie

make sure you have an up to date time machine backup. Boot from the leopard dvd. format and install leopard, then restore from time machine. This is a known issue caused by the 10.5.2 update. This is the method that worked for me. I know it may take some time to restore, but it works.

14. BillG07 macrumors member

Which part of boot camp gave you the kernal panic the last time? If you partitioned successfully with disk utility on your leopard dvd, boot camp shouldn't even try to partition, it should go to the screen that asks for the windows installation cd. Did you get that far? If you can't even partition anymore run repair disk from disk utility before trying a new partition (also in disk util) and then run boot camp.