Major boot issues after 10.5.7 update.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sport77, May 14, 2009.

1. Sport77 macrumors newbie

Hello all-
    I have a 1.33ghz 17" G4 Powerbook with 2gigs of RAM. I've been dealing with a black screen that requires a hard (button) shutdown if the grey screen does not appear:confused:. This started with the 10.5.6 update. Sometimes it takes several attempts to get a lit screen, and after that all is well.

However after installing the 10.5.7 update, which took about 30 mins and a double restart, It now takes upwards of 30 minutes to get to a login window from the grey screen with the gear??:mad:
    Any thoughts on this. Should I get the disc out and just update only to 10.5.6?
    Thanks!:)

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Just putting this out here but have you checked the s.m.a.r.t status of the hard drive?

And its always a good bet to repair permissions, but still it shouldn't take 30 mins.

3. Sport77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update to boot issues.

Hi Stridemat-
    Thanks for the reply. I went out and bought Disc Warrior last night and ran all tests including the s.m.a.r.t. status with no issues. After doing that ,rebooted and had the grey Apple screen for 1 hour and 15 min. Having failed to get a login window, I reinstalled the system from the dvd, repaired permissions and verified the disc from the disc utility. I'm now backing up some files before trying to update.
    Thanks again.:)
    Sport77

4. Sport77 thread starter macrumors newbie

2nd Update

And now with 10.5.0 it starts fine every time with no start up or screen issues whatsoever. I think I'll update one version at a time and see if I can nail something to a particular os x leopard update.
    Sport77