Major boot problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by makeshifs, Mar 2, 2011.

1. makeshifs macrumors newbie

I have a massive problem with my macbook unibody 6,1 late 2009.

The problem is that I installed windows 7 with bootcamp. I tried to make my windows partition bigger with ParagonPartitionMan11. It failed and now will only try to boot in windows. On which I get an error saying no bootable device insert windows cd. I did this and it wont install on the partition.

I cannot boot from OSX install disk holding "C" doesn't work. I can't Reset PRAM (startup info is kept there) for some reason.

The only time it will go anywhere near a apple boot is without a harddrive in and even then it wont boot from CD to change the startup disk.

I'v taken the harddive out and formatted it in target disk mode from another mac I have (broken screen but still has firewire) and reinstalled OSX.

my keyboard does not work on my Macbook unibody 6,1 so I use an external will this affect the boot commands?

Is there anyone out there that can help or tell if there is a PRAM battery on this model so I can reset it physically?

edit: I had problems from the start booting with bootcamp. I had to use system prefs to tell it to boot into windows (startup manager pressing alt on boot has never worked) and it would always boot windows until I used bootcamp options in windows to bot OSX then it would boot OSX all the time.

Message was edited by: makeshiftdecisions

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

It sounds like your keyboard isn't working to send boot commands, but this should work. Try a different keyboard. This accounts for nearly all of your problems.

The rest come from trying to use a Windows program to resize a Mac volume, which of course will fail.

And no, there's not a separate PRAM battery. It's not needed since the internal battery is not removable.

3. makeshifs thread starter macrumors newbie

I know I took somebodys word for the programme working... who knew taht everything on the internet wasn't true :D

I'v tried a few keyboards and I'm not getting the chime on boot any more :(

The keyboard on the laptop is knackered so I think it might have had a spill liquid (maybe) on it.

Might it be the logic board?

And if I run the battery totally flat and remove it for a night will this be the same as removing the PRAM battery to reset?

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

If there was a spill, it very easily could be the logic board.

You'd have to run the battery too dead to be practical. It would be easier to unplug the battery and let it sit for a few hours.

Also, if there are a few stuck keys on the internal keyboard, that could make it difficult for an external keyboard to give boot commands--but it wouldn't stop the machine from chiming.