Major bug in 10.7!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by merrickdrfc, Aug 9, 2011.

1. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Using Xcode tonight on my 2010 iMac running 10.7 (11A511), editing a preferences Plist file, and then the OS decides to completely crash. From the behaviour I believe it is Finder crashing completely, unable to select the application window, CMD-Tab shows nothing other than Finder and unable to launch applications etc. Forced to do a hard reset, the iMac is no longer bootable, having to restore from Time Machine as we speak.

So I decided to continue my work on my secondary machine, A 2011 MacBook Air running 10.7 (11A2063) and editing the same plist file in Xcode, bang exact same symptoms, laptop is completely unresponsive. Luckily the Air booted after the hard reset, the iMac wasn't so lucky.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Not at all. Which version of Xcode are you running? Why would you assume it was a Lion bug ? Because it involved the finder? Both were replicated using Xcode.

3. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Which plist?
    Sounds like you found a tender spot.

4. merrickdrfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Its just happened again on my Air, and I believe now that it may actually be an Xcode bug, I'm running Xcode 4.1 (Build 4B110) and it was just editing the Root.plist in my application's Settings.bundle. I've looked at the console and can't see anything suspicious either

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

So there is no crash report for Xcode that was generated? I would submit a bug report. I searched and found 1 thread with some with a similar error, not many.

6. merrickdrfc thread starter macrumors 6502

No, thats what made me think it was an OS X issue, the whole system freezes, unable to launch anything or do anything at all.

7. ppilone macrumors 6502

I've had horrible luck with Xcode 4 and editing the Root.plist of an app's Settings bundle. Not as bad as what you've seen - but can consistently cause Xcode to crash. I've resorted to only editing the Root.plist in the plist editor application.

I haven't had time to research the issue but thought I'd chime in with my experience.

8. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

The thread mentions editing it manually. I guess file a report and do it manually until it is fixed.

9. merrickdrfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, i'll try that. Other than this I've had no issues with Xcode 4 on either 10.6 or 10.7. Thanks for the help guys!