Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
When I go into a folder with the coverflow view activated, then select a file and delete it coverflow still shows me the deleted file, it's deleted from the list view and the file next to it is selected but cover flow shows the deleted file, like it's still there. It's very annoying and can be fixed when you change the view and then select cover flow again, then the file doesn't show up anymore. Can anyone test if he also has this problem? I can't find anything about it online.

tshort

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
Not just you.

It's happening to me too... but it also seems to happen if you open up a folder via the triangle - Coverflow gets out of sync.

It's minor, but it's annoying.

lambo13

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
I have to agree w/ the OP, this is definitely a major bug. Imagine going through images in coverflow and deleting the bad, over/under-exposed or unfocused shots and suddenly you realize that the images aren't moving but the files in the list are getting deleted.

Then you notice that the filenames are not aligned to the proper image so you're in fact deleting the wrong shot altogether.

This is a MAJOR bug.

memo90061

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I've been posting about this, and only one person has replied to both threads regarding the issue I'm having. I guess I didn't explain it right.

This bug has been since the first GM, or even before that. I installed the GM thinking it was the final version. The first time I accidentally erased a picture, and then I was confused. I noticed the selected file didn't correspond to the thumbnail in coverflow view.

I posted some examples also:

8rwy.png

52t3.png

It is VERY annoying! I have to be very careful when deleting files.

lambo13

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
I've been posting about this, and only one person has replied to both threads regarding the issue I'm having. I guess I didn't explain it right...

This very nicely depicts the problem.

Pretty surprising that the OS was released with such a glaring error.

RoyG

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Not only when you are deleting

I was sorting through my photos when I discovered this bug. If you move files to another folder, the cover flow gets out of sync the same way it does when you are deleting files. If you expand and collapse any folder, it forces the cover flow to re-sync. Just clicking another item doesn't change anything. Selecting a file in the other end of the list does not change anything either.

To any developer reading this thread, what happens is the following:

Say you have a list of files numbered from 1 and onward.
If you delete (or move) a file, an operation that will remove the file from the list of files in finder, it does NOT remove the same file from the cover flow. Causing an off-by-one correlation between the name of the files in the file list, and the files in the cover flow.

If you delete file number 1.
(File List) : (Cover Flow)
File name 2 has cover from file name 1
File name 3 has cover from file name 2
et cetera...

If you move or delete multiple files, for instance 5 files, the gap is 5 instead of 1, so it seems to me like a simple remove-from-one-list (the list of files), forget-to-remove-from-the-other-list (coverflow) kind of bug.

To people saying that this problem is not serious: If it causes users to unknowingly delete files they don't want to delete, it is seriously enough.

vbuster

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2006
Same Coverflow bug on three systems

Just adding my 5 pence worth. I upgrade three systems and all have the same problem where the deleted file still displays in coverflow. Things now get out of sync and you may be opening up the wrong file if you open it from coverflow. Change the directory and back into the folder where the original file was deleted, coverflow is updated.

ALSO anyone seen this. Delete a file. The trash icon on the dock does not change to indicate there is any files in the trash folder however look and in thrash folder and there are items that have been deleted! This does not happen every time!
:(

Beatific

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
Same problem

I'm also experiencing the Finder coverflow bug and the delete a file but trash icon remains empty bug. Once I open trash I can then see the file and click on the empty button in top right hand corner.

Also I've noticed that the All My Files view you can select from the left hand menu of a finder window isn't updating - isn't that supposed to show the files you have used recently? Mine shows old files and doesn't change.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
...This is a MAJOR bug.

Ok, I guess we just have different definitions of MAJOR.

To me, MAJOR would mean I can't use the system.

This, I just don't use coverflow. :confused: I mean, coverflow is nice and all, but the list view or the grid view work fine.

In any case, I hope 10.9.1 fixes it.

lbarcelo

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
Confirmed

I have this also... no need to delete a file. just moving it to another folder and the bad indexation between file name and preview happens.

pavelrappo

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
Already submitted it to bugreport.apple.com.

I agree it's not Major but it's a big deal. Since preview provided by Cover Flow is misleading (highlighted file shown as already deleted one) you can delete important data by mistake. Just like I almost did.

hanoverst

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
a workaround for coverflow bug?

I have been frustrated by this too. I am finding that it seems to have gone away after choosing a setting from the "arrange" button/drop-down (ie: by name) rather than sorting from the list that appears below the images (what I usually do). Even if I go back to the arrange button and choose "none", the behavior still seems to stay normal. I don't know if it will remain that way and I haven't experimented further yet but wanted to post this in case it might help someone else. I sort a lot of pictures in the finder this way because it is fast--and I completely understand why some here consider this a major problem! If it works for you it is a quick fix--though I can't tell if it is going to be temporary yet.

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
From what I understand reindexing does the trick. However it takes some time.

http://www.macyourself.com/2009/01/13/spotlight-trouble-re-index-your-entire-hard-drive-for-search/

tried this, didn't work.

I have been frustrated by this too. I am finding that it seems to have gone away after choosing a setting from the "arrange" button/drop-down (ie: by name) rather than sorting from the list that appears below the images (what I usually do). Even if I go back to the arrange button and choose "none", the behavior still seems to stay normal. I don't know if it will remain that way and I haven't experimented further yet but wanted to post this in case it might help someone else. I sort a lot of pictures in the finder this way because it is fast--and I completely understand why some here consider this a major problem! If it works for you it is a quick fix--though I can't tell if it is going to be temporary yet.

this seems to work for me also, but It's a pain in the *** to do it for each folder, still a nice catch.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Don't want to be overly negative but I'm not sure I'd hold out hope for it being fixed; actually I'm surprised Apple didn't drop Coverflow in the Finder as they've been doing it for many other apps (iTunes most importantly!), I will hate to see it go though as I love it for picture folder, but Apple seem to be dead set against it at the moment.

I love it in iTunes and Safari too :(

RomanCitizen

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2013
I am also having problems with this bug. And it is not the only one involving previewing in Finder. Quick look, column view and even an app like ACDSee are affected
I have to agree with haravikk about the cover flow. Instead of it I was expecting to see something like the new viewing system used in iTunes. But that's probably for the next completely revamped generation of OS X (XI?). Because of this revamping they didn't most likely bother to take it out.

memo90061

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

That also worked for me! :O Thank you!!

ozsoymeh

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2013
Finder Cower Flow Sync Problem!!

Same problems here. Cower flow in finder is not synced with preview!!
I find it Annoying!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 08.37.11.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 08.37.11.png
    366.9 KB · Views: 207

rcalafiori

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2014
Cover Flow don't show preview of my videos

Cover Flow don't show preview of my videos any more. Now I have the icon of the player instead for every one. Just updated to Maverics and I am really upset.
Now, I have no idea what's on my videos, open and watch one by one to find what I want is insane.
Very disappointing. Is it ease to go back to Lion?

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Cover Flow don't show preview of my videos any more. Now I have the icon of the player instead for every one. Just updated to Maverics and I am really upset.
Now, I have no idea what's on my videos, open and watch one by one to find what I want is insane.
Very disappointing. Is it ease to go back to Lion?

Why on earth would you want to go back to Lion??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.