Major Bug In Safari 5

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amoergosum, Jun 9, 2010.

1. amoergosum macrumors 6502

There's a major bug in Safari 5. I've never encountered this problem with previous versions >>>
    If I start my Mac Pro and open Safari I can load streaming videos (like YouTube) without any issues for a while. Then suddenly videos don't load anymore (they don't even hang...it's just a black field). The only solution is to restart the computer or close and open the browser in order to watch streaming videos again. I've read other user reports who have the same problem.

2. vicemond macrumors newbie

Flash seems to be crapping out

Maybe it's another way Steve Jobs is trying to stamp out Flash, but ANY Flash object on the page no longer works. The Flash plugin/player pretty much crashes.

3. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

I'm having a problem with safari 5 too. Since upgrading to safari 5 it won't keep me logged in on youtube, even if I have the option to keep me logged in checked. After closing the window it logs me out. :mad:

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don’t have any problems with Flash in Safari. It must be something else on your computer.

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

If I pause a Youtube vid for several mins, it will no resume. I have to reload.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Like many others, I've never had any such problems with Safari 5, so it's not accurate to say it's a bug in Safari 5. If that were true, we would all be experiencing the same issues. It's more likely that the problem lies elsewhere on your system.
    Here are a few places to look:
    • Ad blocking software.
    • Firewall settings.
    • Add-ons you've installed.
    • Modifications you've made via Terminal commands.
    • Repair permissions.
    • Delete the Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist file, then Reset Safari

7. BiomaxDDS macrumors regular

same here, just a big black box in the middle of the page

8. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

I had a similar problem, but the Flash objects simply would not show (no black box). I downloaded Flash 10.1 from the Adobe website and installed that and have not had the problem since then.

Another thing to note, though they claimed this was not the case... I upgraded to 10.6.4 and it downgraded my Flash from 10.1 back to whatever version of 10.0.x it was. So it might be a conflict with an other version of Flash and 10.6.4, for those running that.

9. alienapp macrumors member

I had the same problem as well. But everything seems better after removing all the 3rd party plugins from safari 5

10. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I have none of these issues at all and I do all of that. I have paused a video (top gear) and came back 2hrs later to start watching again and it picks up fine.

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Same issue here with the big black box for Flash Restarted Safari and all is well. The only extension I have is Adblock but when that's disabled it still won't load until I restart Safari.

12. rokenn3 macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue. I have no 3rd party plugins in Safari as I don't use them really. But I have not had this issue before now. It only started since updating to Safari 5. So, GGJStudios, I have to disagree with you. It IS a bug. Not everyone is having the same issue but quite a few of us are experiencing the identical issue. So there is something wrong.

13. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

After a few hours of trying to use Safari 5, I've happily switched back to Chrome. I experienced countless issues with the new Safari such as...

- Youtube and Flash videos not loading properly
    - external and internal links constantly opening in new windows instead of tabs, even after running command scripts and plugins to prevent this
    - And worst of all, extremely laggy browsing on simple sites.

From what I've been reading it's hit or miss with Safari 5 for most people. I'll be sticking with Chrome for now.

14. emaja macrumors 68000

FWIW, I put Safari 5 in 32-bit mode and it seems to have fixed the freezing. It is still slower than 4, but at least it is not locking up anymore.