Major continuity bug regarding calls?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Sir Ruben, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Both my iPad and iPhone are running ios8. Today while I was in the supermarket my iPhone received a call, when I got home my partner said the iPad rang too. At the time of the call my phone was connected to 3G and my iPad to my home network.

Now I was under the impression that these continuity features required users devices to be connected to the same home network? I'm assuming that what I experienced is just a bug. All the same it feels like a bit of a privacy nightmare.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

2. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

That's very bizarre. Yes, to my knowledge, Continuity works only on the same Wi-Fi network.

Have you submitted this bug to Apple?

3. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

I don't say you are stupid, but just to be sure. Wasn't it Facetime?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Are you sure it wasn't am audio FaceTime call?

5. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

No this was definitely a normal phone call (it was a marketing company calling to ask me if I was happy with the recent service on my car). See I'm guessing that it's technically possible but because of obvious quality and security reasons the devices are meant to be on the same network. Otherwise others could potentially intercept calls etc. I haven't submitted it to Apple just yet, wanted to see what you guys thought first.

What I will say is that both the iPad and the iPhone are logged in on the same Apple ID, but despite this, it's not meant to work in this way is it?

6. bucksaddle macrumors 6502

I had the same yesterday. Took 2 calls on my iPhone while at work (on 3G) and then about 2 minutes after the second call my wife (at home) messaged me to say my iPad (at home) keeps ringing.

7. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Yeah its really interesting how continuity works.. I restored my iPhone back to iOS 7 but my iPad still on iOS 8 was getting my SMS messages. It definitely was not iMessage because it was a text from Verizon telling me about my data usage. Not really sure how that one happened.

8. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

my phone is on LTE (not wifi here) and I can get the calls on my ipad connected via wifi.

The bug I see is that the phone will ring...and if i let it go to voicemail, that is when the ipad picks it up and starts ringing. I also noticed that it picked a call after I hung up on the phone.

9. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Please try to reproduce the issue to see what the reproduction steps are. This should be easy to do from home with both your iPad and iPhone next to you, just disable WiFi on your iPhone and try calling it from your landline or something. Report the bug to Apple with your findings.

----------

P.S. I may be wrong about this but I didn't think the (intended) same network restriction was for privacy, but rather to ensure stability and good voice quality, at least for its initial release. Same reason FaceTime was WiFi only for a while. And with this, your iPhone is having to stream yours and their voice over data as well as over the mobile signal, at the same time.

I'm not sure that being on the same network really does much for privacy. WiFi is quite abundant in public and work spaces, not just the home. And not even the home is necessarily private. Be careful where you leave your continuity devices...

10. Fenderf4i macrumors member

It seems like a bug that it rings of course. What I'm betting is, if it was ringing when you weren't home, and someone tried to answer it at home, is that it wouldn't answer the call since the phone isn't there on the same network.

11. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

That's an interesting suggestion, if I can replicate it ill give it a try.

12. sapbasis macrumors member

Think I've found a way to stop this. Under FaceTime on Mac and iPad there is a setting to enable/disable "iPhone Cellular Calls". When I disabled this and tested a few calls to my iPhone my iPad and MacBook Air no longer ring. I was just about to revert back to iOS 7 to stop the rings on other devices. Hope this helps.

13. xlost6 macrumors 6502

Thanks. I was having the same problem as you. Glad you found a solution. I disabled both my iPad and MacBook Pro "iPhone Celluar Calls" setting.

:apple:

14. iFoggy macrumors member

I understood that continuity is tied into your iCloud account as well and it's not related to being on the same WiFi network....time will tell

15. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I had this happen a few times already. I wasn't even home and the iPad was still ringing from a call that happened hours earlier. Had to force reboot to fix it

16. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

I had an issue where my iPad rang whilst in the back office at work, and after the phone call ended my iPad was still ringing.

I thought it was all meant to be Bluetooth based though? Thus preventing someone at home from answering a call when your miles away. This is strange.

17. robertpatryk macrumors member

I got a phone call once. After 2 hours I came home and I heard my iPad still ringing.

18. Wrong Turn macrumors member

I can confirm this too.
    Several calls is shown on my ipad when i get home from work, none of them facetime.

Even more annoying is that the screen looks like i still can answer the call...

19. TomH TX macrumors regular

What started out as a "neat" feature has quickly become a real annoyance. Several times now one or both of my iPads have continued ringing for a long time after a call was missed on the iPhone. I just deactivated this feature under FaceTime.

20. dof250 macrumors regular

I have the exact same issue and its certainly not FaceTime. Whenever my phone rings, my iMac, MacBook and iPad all ring together. Without it being on the same wifi network or even close to each other. This behavior wasn't in the first beta's.

21. cschmelz macrumors 6502

Apple knows about this bug. I reported it via the bug reporter and my report got closed as it was a duplicate report.

22. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

It happens to me daily. My ipad is picking up calls when they are on separate networks.

23. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

It IS a VERY neat feature, but it is in beta so I recognize that it might not work right until the final release.

This pretty much happens to me every day. I get home and my mac is ringing. Until they fix it, I've stopped Facetime notifications on my mac & ipad and I mute my mac when I'm not there.

Having said that, I've successfully taken calls on both my mac & ipad and both worked like a charm. The one I answered on my mac was perfect because my husband joined the conversation & with the speakers on the mac he could hear perfectly. The calls on my ipad were just convenient. Sitting on the couch reading my book on my ipad, my cell rings & I'm just too lazy to get up & look for it. Ipad call worked perfectly. :)