major Desktop bug in Leopard... G-d damn Apple!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ThomasJL, Apr 8, 2009.

1. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Here is a major Desktop bug in Leopard:

If there are many files and folders on your desktop (lets say 40, for example), and you create a new folder and try to move all those 40 files and folders into the new folder at once, this is what will happen: Many of the files will COPY to the new folder, but will not MOVE, but some will move. :(

To COPY all 40 files by doing a "Select All" (and deselecting the Macintosh HD and the new folder, of course) and then dragging and dropping them into the new folder is impossible. You have to move the folders and files ONE AT A TIME into the new folder! :mad:

If you tried to move all at once, you will a major pain in the butt. You have to then look in the new folder and visually compare every file in there to the files on the desktop, in order to see which ones were moved and which ones were merely just copied.

I cannot believe how lame Apple is. I'm currently running 10.5.6, which is the latest version of Leopard, but have been using Leopard since the very first retail version, 10.5.0. I did a clean install (aka "Erase and Install").

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

?
    I don't have this problem. You're saying you have a lot of files on your desktop, you create a new folder on the desktop, then move all the desktop files to that new folder, Right? And only some transfer, but are copies (so that you now have duplicate files on the desktop and in your new folder)?

I just tried this with 20 folders on the desktop and everything worked fine for me. How about when you do this within the "Desktop Folder" that is in your home directory?

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I just recreated your scenario with 40 various files, no problems... Have you tried holding down the CMD key, if you hold that, it'll definitely move, not copy.

4. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Correct. I've done it many times, with the same result. I've tried it under every version of Leopard, from 10.5.0-10.5.6.

Thanks for your help and suggestion, GimmeSlack12. I shall try this next time.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I was unable to reproduce your problem with 40, 60, or 80 files moving to a new folder on my desktop.

Also have no problem with this. Even if this is the case you probably don't have to do them 1 at a time. Have you tried 2, 4, 6, 10, 20 at a time?

6. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have tried 2 and 4 at a time, and it works. 20 at a time did not work.

Thanks for your feedback.

7. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Are you sure the files that were "copied" (not "moved") aren't on a different disk drive/partition?

8. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I'm sorry but this doesn't seem like a 'major' bug to me, a minor inconvenience at best, if the files are copied to the folder instead of moved then all you have to do is delete the original files from the desktop. Also since many people have not been able to recreate this perhaps it's not OS X but your specific system. Do you have more than one Mac that you can test this on?

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I think you have a good point here.

10. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

There are no partitions on my hard drive. I only use one internal drive on my MacBook, and I don't plug in an external one.

I really want to thank all of you, especially the guys who have tried to replicate my issue. Thanks for your help and time. :)