Major fail???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamin00, May 7, 2017.

1. jamin00 macrumors 6502

jamin00

Yesterday, I went to open my 2015 rMBP but when I did it did not wake up.

I tried pressing the power button etc and I had no picture or sound but the unit itself was warm. I googled what could be the issue and went through a few procedures that I found one being forcing the unit to power off. Then I powered it back on and heard the normal startup tones so thought it was ok however no display. Tried a few other things as per what I had found on google including holding SHIFT CTRL OPTION and the POWER button but nothing helped.

Spoke to Apple support and nothing helped there so booked an appointment for tomorrow but this morning after leaving the unit disconnected from the power I went to turn it on and the flat batt sign was displayed so I plugged it in and after a few minutes of charge it has come back on as if nothing has happened.

So really my question is what the hell happened lol. Should I still go to Apple tomorrow to get them to check it out. Are there any tools I can use to do some checks now etc??

I checked the activity monitor and its showing Kernal.tasks art the top of the list, is this bad??

Any advice appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Resist macrumors 68030

My Mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro does this from time to time. I have no idea why it gets hung in the sleep cycle. If Apple will look at yours for free, then do it. If not, then I wouldn't worry about it since it only happened once to you.

3. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502

jamin00

OK. How do you normally get it back to life. I had tried most of the day yesterday and then it just came back to life this morning after losing all its charge over night?

Im not to happy about the prospect of this happening again. I will go in to Apple and see what they say.

4. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

It sounds like a battery issue because both times it revived after a flat battery, right?

I would take it to Apple and have them check the battery. If you have AppleCare I hope they cover the battery as well. Is there another system you can exchange batteries with to test my thoughts about this being a battery issue?

5. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502

jamin00

Yes, defo after battery went flat this morning.

I dont have AppleCare on this and the other MBP in the house is a 2011 MBP I think so the batts would be different? I do have a battery monitor which shows its ok apparently?

TBH, I'll just pop in to Apple on way home tomorrow and get them to do their diagnostics on it.

Attached Files:

6. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Start a log now while details are fresh in memory. Keep it up to date and use it in dealings with Apple. We've had to do this for various things, the most recent being a Samsung refrigerator and Lowe's. It does help to have dates (and times if needed), names and details.

Good luck,

7. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502

jamin00

8. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502

jamin00

I have done that also when it came back to life. I did not do a PRAM set though?