Major FCP Log and Capture Issues

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by trudd, Jul 9, 2007.

1. trudd macrumors regular

trudd

I've successfully imported 2 out of 10 hours of my footage from Honduras.

On tape 3 I went through and logged everything. As soon as I started to batch capture, I got errors about timecode breaks. It looked my like drop frames to me.

This being my first time to Log and Capture through FCP, I feel I must be doing something wrong. The only problem I found in the timecode was when it jumped from xx:xx:03;29 to xx:xx:04;01, which (please correct me if I'm wrong - I probably am) is a drop-frame.

Rig:
    2.4ghz MBP SR
    4gb RAM
    Canon GL2 (used to take footage and as deck)
    Scratch disk: LaCie d2 320gb

As a side note, I've discovered that if I plug my LaCie d2 into my firewire 800 port and the camera into the FW400 port, one or the other won't be recognized (either camera won't be discovered or HD won't mount). To remedy this I've plugged the camera into hte FW400 on the HD and the HD into the MBPs FW800.

Long story short, GL2 ->FW400-> LaCie d2 ->FW800-> MBP

P.S. I also re-installed FCP this morning (taking it back to 6.0 instead of 6.0.1). Last night I started getting the Preview Disabled screen of death and my footage won't show up on the Log/Capture monitor.

Lethal, I'm looking to you on this one ;)

2. trudd thread starter macrumors regular

trudd

d'oh. Turns out I was just overloading the FW800 port on the computer.

I figured FW800 could handle it. Guess not.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The daisy chaining would've been my first guess. It usually plays nice, but not always.

Just as a clarification there is a difference between "dropping/dropped frames" and "drop frame timecode." Dropping frames means something is keeping FCP from capturing all the frames of video off the tape. Drop frame time code doesn't drop any frames, it just skips a number at regular intervals so the TC stays in synch w/real time. "Drop number" TC would be a more accurate name than "drop frame".

From Wiki

Lethal

4. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

PAL was also obviously around before color broadcasts, so I guess that the PAL engineers did it the other way round, and adjusted the audio and chroma subcarriers, since PAL still enjoys an integer timecode?

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm not a format historian, but according to the almighty Wiki PAL wasn't rolled out until the late 60's which is well after color broadcasts started in the states so I don't think PAL had to shoehorn in a color signal like NTSC did.

Lethal