Major graphical glitching in games.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Enzo-259, May 18, 2009.

1. Enzo-259 macrumors newbie

I'm using one if the first gen Macbook Pro's and I seem to be experiencing major artefacting and ground just disappearing. I was thinking that it may have something to do with the fact that whenever I play a game(unless it's ancient) the fans rev up to 6000 rpm and the base of the computer becomes way too hot to touch. But I have also heard that it could be something to do with not having up to date drivers though I don't know how to check this or even where to download the correct ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!.

Oh and by the way, the games I tend to play are mostly games that have come out between about 2-6 years ago though I occasionally play a more recent one like Fallout 3(though for some reason it didn't appear to be so bad on this which I found weird considering I had to play it on the lowest settings in order for it to be at all playable)

2. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

There are so many factors here that could influence this glitch. Most likely though it's either the game itself or the driver. Do you know the graphics card in your MBP? What specific game are you trying to play? What version of Windows are you running?

As far as the fans spinning up to 6000 RPM, that's totally normal. It freaked me out a bit at first too, but I've played several hours at a time with them going full speed. That's just how it cools itself off. You could use a notebook cooling pad under it if it really bothers you (glass tables also seem to work really well).

3. Enzo-259 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm really not too sure about what the graphics card is since I inherited this computer from my brother. However, it's the very first edition of macbook pro's that came out so I'm sure somebody will know. As far as the games go, it appears to happen after about 5 mins in every game I have that was released after about 2003. Also, I'm running XP SP3.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Go into system profiler in osx, look up Graphics/Displays.

Then good for drivers either ATI Radeon Mobility or Nvidia.

Fans are going to rev up in games, no matter what laptop it is.

How much ram does it have? Max out hte ram.

5. Enzo-259 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay well it appears to be an ATI RadeonX1600 and I have a 2GHz processor with 2 GB of RAM. I'll look for the latest drivers and see what happens. Thanks

EDIT: Does anyone know where I can find the drivers? I've looked everywhere but none of the ones I've found seem to work.