Major Help Needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rweakins, May 10, 2007.

1. rweakins macrumors 6502

rweakins

is there anyway to "move back in time" on a mac. i know of a pc you can like do something called like a system restore where you can go back to all the settings and everything at a certain time that has passed. is that possible on a mac??? if so how do you do it?????

2. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Whats the problem? There is no system restore in OSX, but we still might be able to help.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not really although it looks like we'll have this feature in Leopard. What happened? With OSX you can reinstall the system with an Archive & Install. This reinstalls the system for you but leaves your files and settings intact. Is this what you're after? Tell us a little more about your problem and we'll see if we can give more specific help.

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

5. rweakins thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

help needed

i was workin on a majorly important video that someone deleted and then emptied the trash so i guess there is no way at all to get it back

6. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Depends on how important it is and how much money you want to spend to get it back.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well Windows Restore wouldn't help you here either. Anyway, look into an app called Data Rescue II. The demo is free and will let you see if the file is recoverable. In the meantime, don't use your machine (shut it down) because OSX will quickly overwrite your deleted data.

8. rweakins thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

meaning?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Meaning data recovery is expensive and not always successful - hence the importance of backups. :)

10. rweakins thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

restore

well i had saved the video on the desktop and also on an external harddrive. only the video saved on the desktop was deleted....but when i pulled up the hard drive it was gone off of there too

11. geekytrent macrumors newbie

yeah, basically if you can't find the file you'll have to pay a company lots of money to retrieve the file for you (if it's possible). basically, they retrieve the file by looking at the data block it was on, and if that data block hasn't been written over yet, they can pull the data that was on that block and hand you a dvd or cd of the data (the video). otherwise, you are out of luck unless some of the data rescue programs like one mentioned above can get it for you.

12. mpw Guest

Recover trashed videos you say? hmmmm...;)

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

14. rweakins thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

file recovery

i tried Data Recovery II but the file is huge and the demo for it will only recover files up to 5mb the video was like 9gig so yeah

15. MacKitten macrumors newbie

Time machine in 10.5!
    i checked it out today... even though the OS is not complete... its very cool
    there are a few freeware apps that can do this.. just check versiontracker!

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So buy the full version. Here, have some money.

Picture 1.png