major install problem?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by futurestate, Aug 5, 2008.

1. futurestate macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a powerbook g4 1.25ghz with 512mb of ram running OSX version 10.3.9.

I bought a copy of leopard and tried to install it- it tells me that I need 10.4.1 or above to install.

Frustrated:mad:, I searched for another way to remedy the problem, but with no avail. So, I got on ebay again... I found a copy of OSX 10.4.7 which I have just received from the postman 30 minutes ago. I was really happy:D, and started to "try" the install.

When I put in the installation disc 1, the computer restarts and then a grey screen with a bunch of code- at the end of it read something like his.

"panic: we are just hanging here." :eek:????

Something about driver not found.

I tried to eject or restart by holding down the power button, nothing happens. I had to unplug the power cord the remover the battery. I started up the computer again with the disc still inside, and again the same thing. I repeat the same step again, but this time holding down the eject button while the OS booted up. Finally got the disc out...And now I am here, asking for some assistance.

This is such a headache... I just want my itouch to work with my powerbook!:(

I have checked everything.... The disc I have bought is Mac Os version 10.4.7
    AHT version 3A112 and comes in 2 discs. Originally shipped with an imac.

Would someone please help me... Please for the love of god....:(:(:(:(

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You cannot use iMac discs on anything but an iMac. This is true of all restore disks: they are locked to the type of machine the originally shipped with.

Is your Leopard DVD a retail one? It sounds like an upgrade DVD shipped with some machines when Leopard was released...

3. futurestate thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the leopard disc from a friend of a friend who has the new macbook pro. It is not the retail version. I feel so stupid not knowing that they are locked... Like I said, I just want it to work with my itouch. It's doing my head it.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Then what is it? It's unlikely to be a restore DVD for that MacBook Pro: it would not install on a PowerBook with a similar error to the one you get with the 10.4.7 disk. So it's an upgrade DVD to allow an upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5 for people who bought machines with 10.4 after 10.5 was shipping. It's only licensed for the machine it came with so even if you get it to install you will be breaking the EULA. The only legal way to get Leopard on your Powerbook is to buy a full retail copy of Leopard.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You need to buy the retail version, not versions made for other machine types, not ones that are already used. Go to apple.com and buy it.

Exactly.