Major iPhone 4 Proximity Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CherryJello, Jun 29, 2010.

1. CherryJello macrumors regular

When I place a phone call and hold the phone to my face, the screen turns off but if at any point I take the phone away from my face, the screen will not come back on. No matter how many times I touch the screen or press the buttons, the screen will not turn back on. The phone call continues but I cannot do anything else.

Oh and If I even touch the bottom left of the phone I loose all service in 15 seconds. I'm taking this one back and getting a new one....

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Really?
    The (small) issue I am having with the proximity sensor is that it need to be REALLY close to my face to turn off. If I move it even a cm away, the screen comes back on..

Not a huge deal but it's odd our problems are completely opposite.

3. getatkyill macrumors regular

Do either of you use leather or otherwise obtrusive iPhone4 cases?

I have the OP's issue when using my Belkin leather case, bought at AT&T.

4. iphone529 macrumors regular

I have been having a problem with this since i got my phone, its very annoying,I mute calls, goes to speaker, I hope they push out an update soon to fix this already.

5. CherryJello thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE:

I did a complete restore and things were working until I did a restore from back up and the problems were back. However I did a "clear all settings" and that did trick. But from what I've read, the problems seem to come back after awhile. We'll see......

6. TopazLJF macrumors newbie

Another Proximity Problem

I'm also having similar issues with my iPhone 4. I've noticed more and more than I'm accidentally pressing buttons with my cheek. On a typical 5-minute phone call, the screen turns back on 3-4 times, causing me to either hit speaker phone or end call. I've never had the problem before (I've gotten a new iPhone every year...).

I restored this phone from the backup of my 3gs... thoughts?