MAJOR iPhoto '11 problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by indio32, Oct 24, 2010.

1. indio32 macrumors newbie

I bought iLife '11 a couple of days after release and have found the iPhoto '11 is hugely buggy and unstable.... major problems with it crashing.

Went over to the Apple forums and its FULL of other people also have serious issues with iPhoto

Any chance that MacRumors can either put something on its website to warn others that its best to give this app a miss for the moment and maybe pull whatever strings it can to get Apple fix the problems..... as usual Apple is a complete brick wall of stoney silence on the subject :(
    Cheeers

Indio32

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Why would they do that? There have been many positive reports as well. It's worked great for me. If someone had warned me off it, I'd be rather upset to find that it would have worked fine for me.

Why don't you see if you can figure out what's wrong with your setup and try to get it working better? Chances are you're running into a permission's problem or a corrupt library. Try rebuilding the iPhoto library by holding down the Command and Option keys while launching iPhoto. That will allow you to repair the permissions on the library as well.

jW

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I think the best thing to do is either use a backup to roll back to 09 or wait until an update.

4. Molly Brisbane macrumors newbie

Getting back to iLife 09

iLife 11 has been a nightmare. It would not work on two of our macs and I eventually gave up on the whole thing and am now back to iLife 09 and all's good. Its pretty time consuming but this is what I did...that worked for me.

1. Deleted the iLife 11 programs. Just trash them from the applications folder...and deleted the iphoto library in the pictures folder (only do this if you have time machine setup and have done a recent backup)
    2. Reloaded iLife 09, and then did all the updates, using Software update.
    3. Downloaded "iphoto library manager" (its free, just google the name), then ran "apply permissions now" using the options function on the far RHS of the window in iphoto library manager.
    4. Opened iphoto (now 09) and recovered photos from time machine using the file/browse backups commands within iphoto.

The old files were returned to me...thank goodness! Am back to where I was before the iLife 11 fiasco began.

I'm not game to try iLife 11 again...I'll wait for the next version as this one clearly has not been adequately tested. Getting rid of it and recovering my photos has taken all weekend to do/crack.

5. AdamN macrumors newbie

Normally I would agree with this sentiment, but disabling calendars just before the holidays along with the major problems with the print products means this is an upgrade worth waiting for.

6. ZoNoZ macrumors newbie

ZoNoZ

Been working with it for the past couple hours, haven't noticed any problems yet personally, I'm importing 5,000 photos right now, I'll let you guys know if I experience anything irregular

7. belltree macrumors 6502

Take this as a lesson learned. Do not upgrade to the "latest and greatest" the minute it is released. Wait at least a couple of weeks and let everyone else beta test.

At the very least have a back up in place so you can roll back. I feel your pain.

8. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You know, why do people post "It has so many bugs!!! I hate it" Threads and yet cannot explain the bugs they are experiencing?

I only ask because I've many times seen people on here screaming bloody murder over a bug that is as lame as no text smoothing, or slow scrolling.

What are the MAJOR problems?

10. ticzon macrumors newbie

There is a Bug

There is a serious bug that is hitting only certain users of iPhoto in iLife '11. The bug will erase the photos after crashing while doing the update to the library. Some users will even see that iPhoto will not launch after the crash. Apple is aware of the problem and a fix should be seen soon. I personally seen my library go from 73 GB to 9 GB. Luckily I had time machine to go recover my library.

Regarding Mal's comment, this has nothing to do with the user's setup. It is something that is in the library that is causing the problem.

11. kdesign7 macrumors 6502a

One issue I found with iPhoto is that it totally erased all of my "PLACES" - now when I click on Places, it alerts me that none of my photos have GeoTagging... which is poopie, because All my photos have been taken with an iPhone 4, and all photos BEFORE the new version were geoTagged and showed up in Places...

Unless there is something Im not doing... any suggestions would be fantastic!

12. sup3r1or macrumors regular

It never crashe for me, However I have occasional hiccups and lags, I hope update will come soon and fix that.

13. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

I have been using it for several days without any problem at all. I really like how the new slide show works. Perhaps those with problems are the majority who post in order to get an answer. This is the best place for that as long as we all do not think the entire public is having these problems.

14. mags631 Guest

I bought iLife '11 and have been using it heavily without crashes. I did reindex my photos when I noticed a slow start up and that immediately resolved that one issue. I'm sure there are bugs, but nothing has gotten in my way.

15. mags631 Guest

Agreed the slideshows are great.

By the way, which mountain are you from in N. California? I went to high school in Weaverville.

16. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Your post from another thread had me duplicate my friend's iPhoto library first and verify the number of photos was the same after the upgrade. Still use Time Machine but wanted a 2nd backup to be sure. It would be a nightmare a few important photos from a large library and discover it months later. It some ways it was good that the data loss was so great so that you can know to take action immediately.

I personally use Aperture but like iPhoto for it's simplistic concepts but beefier than using the Finder to manage photos.