major iPhoto Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bloogersnigen, Oct 1, 2007.

1. bloogersnigen macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

I use iPhoto to organize my pictures for my work it is vital that it works. Now it doesn't. Whenever I open it, it loads the window and looks right but in few seconds just closes, it doesn't pop up with an unexpectently quit message, just closes. Sometimes it will let you browse around for a 10-20 seconds but always closes (note, it doesn't quit, it just dissappears). Can someone please help explain this and give ideas on how to fix it. I'm about to go the genius bar and thats a pain.

Ben

2. expergo macrumors regular

Ben,

Try creating a new library and see if it crashes. Hold Option Key when you open iPhoto and it'll prompt you to create a new library.

If it works with the new library and you need your pics fast, then just import the old pics into the new library.

3. bloogersnigen thread starter macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

I created a new library, imported a few pics and it still closes (though it did last longer). Is iphoto corrupt? How would I fix this?

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Try the usual debugging procedure, create a new user and see if the rpoblem happens there as well.

BTW, which version of iPhoto and OSX do you have?

5. bloogersnigen thread starter macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

iphoto 6.0.6 Mac OS 10.4.10. I'm trying the different user Idea now.

6. bloogersnigen thread starter macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

iPhoto in the new user works great. What does this mean? the problem has been occurring in all three users we have for my family.

7. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

There must be a "non-default" setting that is common across your users. Do you use any plug-ins that needs to be enabled by each user, such as Facebook export plug-in or something of that sort? I hope it is related to iPhoto or its related components only and not due to an interaction of iPhoto with another program.

Try deleting iPhoto preference file of your existing user.

8. bloogersnigen thread starter macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

I deleted the iphoto preference file (users/ben/library/preferences/com.apple.iphoto right?) and it worked great for a couple of minutes (I was getting very excited) and then it closed again. I do have the facebook plugin, could that be doing this.