Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klb028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
hello there!

I'm posting this topic in the MacBook Pro sub-forum because I'm not positive where it needs to go. moderators, please feel free to move this wherever you see fit.

my old MacBook (bought in June 2007) crashed and I picked up a new MacBook Pro (the 2.7 GHz 13" model) 2 weeks ago. I use iSight in iMovie to record a lot of videos, and I was extremely anxious and eager to accustom myself to iMovie '11 and the new HD quality option. the issue I am coming across now has to do with the audio not syncing properly when I play everything back in iMovie. it stays this way through editing and exporting. the video is essentially just ruined. it's about 5-10 seconds ahead. there is no delay WHILE recording; I basically have to record something and then wait to play everything back to see if it's messed up or not. a quick Google search tells me this was a widely talked about problem back in January 2011, but an update to iMovie '11 seemed to resolve it for a while?

I've noticed that this tends to happen most often when the recording is longer than 10 minutes or so. I can't pinpoint it exactly, though. it could also happen if I record a video for 5 minutes and then start a new project in iMovie shortly after. seems like it cannot work properly for an extended amount of time.

I've called AppleCare twice (once last night and once last week) and they've done the following:

1. had me create a test user and record a 15+/- minute video to see if the problem would resurface (of course, it didn't...)
2. had me delete a few iMovie files in my computer
3. had me create several short movies back to back in iMovie to see if the problem would resurface (of course, it didn't...)
4. shut down multiple times, make sure there are no other applications running in the background...
5. detach audio from video (does not help; I can't figure out why)

I really don't know if the problem is coming from iSight or iMovie '11 or maybe even Lion? never had this issue on my old MacBook using iMovie '08 and Snow Leopard. several friends of mine who use their MBPs (same model as mine) for the same reason have the same issue. they've actually taken theirs to the Genius Bar, and the geniuses have no idea why it's happening or what could be causing it. the people I spoke with over at AppleCare don't really know either. the last thing the senior adviser had me do yesterday was run Capture Data and forward him the file so he could send it to an engineer and they could examine what is going on in my computer during the time of the recording.

has ANYBODY else had this issue recently? I searched the forums and didn't find much. if there is already a thread out there somewhere, please point me in the right direction.

is there ANY way to fix my audio so I don't lose hours worth of recordings?

PLEASE let me know if you have any suggestions for a quick fix.

Last edited:

samcolson4

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
I too would be interested in the answer to this. It was an occasional issue on my old 13" aluminium MacBook.

klb028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
I too would be interested in the answer to this. It was an occasional issue on my old 13" aluminium MacBook.

does it not happen at all on your new 15"? seems like our laptops were from the same round of laptop updates... interesting if this is an issue with just the 13" ones.

try recording in photobooth and then importing into imovie 11'

good idea. I'll give that a shot!

klb028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
anyone else?

it seems as if this issue does not happen when you record from an external device, but I have not personally tried that yet.

if you ARE experiencing this issue in ANY way, PLEASE report it to AppleCare. they're saying it's not a "known issue" and people aren't frequently calling in about it. we need to complain to them directly!

klb028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
bump!

I've been troubleshooting with Apple for the past week. the most recent test we have done is create a new partition on the hard drive, reinstall Lion and record a few videos in iMovie. it's been a really long process. I recorded several yesterday (ranging from 1 minute to 8 minutes) and could not get the audio issue to recreate itself.

pretty sure the guy I'm working with told me this could mean it's an issue with my user profile?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.