Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffromaustin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2013
First, and foremost, any/all input/advice will be greatly appreciated! So, I've been using Aperture (current version is 3.4.4) for years and have recently been having MAJOR issues with a strange phenomenon. Say I have a project titled 'NYC (Wide) - 2013' and I'm working in that project; what happens is that photos from other projects (seemingly at random) are automatically being added to the NYC project (while replacing the original NYC photos). So, I can have photos from a small-town rodeo sprinkled-in, indiscriminately, between my pics of NYC.

I can import everything without issue, the phenomenon seems to happen at random after I've relocated the original to one of my NAS units. To that point, I've run all the different 'First Aid' options and have had zero luck correcting the issue. Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Bottom line is that I'm playing around with the Lightroom 5 Beta and might just move everything there. I really don't care about the editing features of Aperture (as I do all my heavy-editing in PS/using NIK), but just want a stable place to organize my projects. ANyway, I hope this all make some-kind of sense, so please advise and thanks so much for your help!
Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
I think your best bet would be to ring Apple. I've had issues with software and after ringing them they referred it to the appropriate department who went on to include a fix in a patch - they do listen after all!

Ring them, they'll tell you to send over some diagnostic files, and hopefully they will fix it (like they did for me).

Best of luck :D

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
..... what happens is that photos from other projects (seemingly at random) are automatically being added to the NYC project (while replacing the original NYC photos)...

.. the phenomenon seems to happen at random after I've relocated the original to one of my NAS units....

Are you literally using Finder to move the files? Are these managed or referenced files.

If you are using any software other than Aperture to move data then yu are lucky it works as well as it does.

SO please tell us (1) how the library is set up. Referenced or not? and (2) how you "relocate" files.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Agree with Chris - the question is how you are managing those files, referenced or managed? And are you using solely an external drive? And what is your workflow - it sounds like you're importing them to Aperture, THEN moving them?

I'm also on Aperture 3.4.4 (as most Aperture users probably are) and have never experienced anything like this. I keep my photo files on the local 3 TB drive as referenced files, then back them up to an external drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.