Major lag in Leopard after reinstall.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by klymr, Jan 8, 2008.

1. klymr macrumors 65816

I had to do an erase and reinstall of Leopard yesterday and now when I put my Macbook Pro to sleep and wake it up it takes 1–2 minutes for the screen to begin to display anything. Then the cursor lags BIG TIME! I might have to start over yet again, unless someone here has any other ideas.

I installed Leopard, installed the Adobe CS3 suite, then remembered I was supposed to install the Leopard updates and did that. It was around that time that it started all this. If I restart OS X it runs fine, until it goes to sleep again. I'm trying to run disk utility right now to verify and/or repair permissions because that's helped in the past, and it's taking forever! Finally after about 5 minutes it's making progress and I'm getting a whole list of stuff. Could it be something else? Other than the way I installed the Adobe suite and the updates, I've install Firefox. That's the only thing different from last time I had Leopard running. What could it be?

2. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

I should have also mentioned, the lag only happens when it's been asleep for a while (few hours). I shut the lid on it yesterday at school, went to work, and when I got home 2 hours later there was a lag. I restarted it, and it worked fine. Checked my email and shut the lid again. About an hour later I went and used it again and it was fine. Then when I opened it this morning after it had been sitting all night it was lagging again. Weird.

3. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Possibly bad sectors on the HDD, have you run an extensive disk check and also repaired permissions?

4. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

How do you run an extensive disk check? I repaired everything that it found before, but that didn't help any. Should I go ahead and reinstall OS X again?

Also, I have a partition set aside for bootcamp and windows. That wouldn't affect anything, would it? Hmmm…

EDIT:
    This is a list of everything after I did another disk utility check.

5. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

Nobody has anything? Not even a whoa, that's bad? DO I need to reinstall Leopard or what guys, come on?!

6. shov macrumors member

i get similar suid stuff, but i read somewhere it's not a problem.

7. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

It was still lagging really bad so I went ahead and did another erase and install. It's still running fine after reinstalling Adobe and my other apps. The screen actually turns on when it's opened, and not 3 minutes later like before. :D

8. Merlish macrumors member

Problem solved. :'D
    The lesson is: Keep the install-discs. xD
    I'd like to know what was wrong, though.